IGNORED

Help Identify a early arcade videogame

Gabriel

I'm trying to find the name of a game.

It was probably made sometime between 1977 and 1981.

The player controlled a space fighter that looked like Darth Vader's from Star Wars. The control stick was a flight yoke like the one later used on the actual Star Wars arcade machine a few years later.

The player flew down a trench. Further down the trench (up above) were 2 rows of Y-Wing looking fighters. I can't remember if these fighters would ever divebomb the player.

The trench itself was an overlay, not an in-game graphic.

The game was timed. When your fighter was hit, you would fly out of the trench spiralling out of control for a few moments. Then you'd resume your flight down the trench and shooting rebel scum.

The cabinet was very ornate with textured plastic materials to give it the look of something from the first Star Wars movie.

It was definitely NOT an official Star Wars game.

I've played this game on emulation before. I'm trying to find it on the Killer List of Videogames to show someone. It was the third or forth arcade machine I ever played (first was Space War by Cinematronics, the second was Tank, and I may have played Galaxian before this). I remember being grounded for a week because I was spending too much time down at the 7-11 playing this game. Sometime after that, I discovered Missile Command.

I don't think that's it (Star Hawk).

My memory may be clouding things, but here are the reasons why I don't think it's Star Hawk.

1) The game I remember was single player only. I recall waiting in line for long periods of time in order to play .

2) The gameplay was Space Invaders/Galaxian like. Your tie fighter had a Centipede style area of the lower screen in which it could roam and shoot upward. Control was analog of some sort (or just really unresponsive).

3) The cabinet had a white plastic boxy style of decoration to make it look similar to one of the ship hallways from Star Wars. I distinctly remember this style of decoration around the marquee.

It definitely isn't Star Fire or Tunnel Hunt.

The gameplay was Space Invaders/Galaxian like.  Your tie fighter had a Centipede style area of the lower screen in which it could roam and shoot upward.  Control was analog of some sort (or just really unresponsive).

Oh sorry... I see, YOU CONTROL the Tie Fighter :lol: Ok then it's probably most likely Space Encounters(?)

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter...=S&game_id=9649

bSpace_Encounters.jpgcSpace_Encounters.jpg

And of course the usual crappy Mame screenshot :roll:

wSpace_Encounters.png