IGNORED

Downloadable rarity guide?

fmctm1sw

Funny you mention this... I've been thinking about making one myself (although without rarity ratings). I just wanted a master list of games. I scrapped the idea, however, since I don't have the disk space or bandwidth allotment to be able to deal with it, I decided.

BUT... If Alex and Al wanted, I'd definitely partner up with AtariAge in getting their rarity rating guide into pdf format. I'd be able to use the "look & feel" of the AtariAge web site to make it "belong," but it'd be better for printing and carrying around on thrifting runs. Of course, it'd belong to AtariAge -- I'd just "donate" my time, as well as my knowledge of (and access to) Quark and Acrobat. We could even do monthly updates to keep it up-to-date.

It's something I think would be useful to people, plus pdfs print nicely and are more manageble as downloads from the web.

Ao, Alex and Al... whaddya think?

Sure, you could print out the HTML rarity Guides. The problem is that the pages tend to wrap and double up in many instances.

Printable pdfs would look much prettier, and be easier to read since the text would be designed for paper and not the screen. But... if people don't think its necessary it'd be a waste of time to do.

quote:

Originally posted by twit:

You can't really "download" a webpage to store on your hard drive without special software.

Actually, many Web browsers have a “save” feature allowing you to store a Web page—often complete with graphics. Also, Mac OS X users have a nifty feature in the standard Print dialog box allowing them to “print” (i.e., save) to a PDF file instead actually printing the page on paper.

quote:

Originally posted by The Night Phantom:

Actually, many Web browsers have a “save” feature allowing you to store a Web page—often complete with graphics. Also, Mac OS X users have a nifty feature in the standard Print dialog box allowing them to “print” (i.e., save) to a PDF file instead actually printing the page on paper.

But this won't work with the Rarity Guide, since it is spread over many, many different pages. You could do the "save as..." trick on every page, but it'd be a major pain in the rear.

That's correct, you can choose "All" in the "Items Per Page" menu and it will load the entire guide into one 'page'. It'll probably take a while to load, but then you will be able to save or print, but it won't be ideal. What I think we will do is make a printer freindly version that loads everything into one page with a fixed width that will print without cropping, and also without wasting space on the left hand side (no navigation). That's something we meant to do before but it got lost on the shuffle somewhere.

I got the rarity guide display all in one page and put the html into VIM and did a bunch of replaces and I put it into a spreadsheet and sorted on rarity num and cut out the commons and sorted back on title and printed it in a very small font for thrift searches. So, if I see a title, I could know if it is rare very quickly.

Maybe we could get a Perl script together to do it automaticaly.

while we're on the subject of the rarity guide how about trying to add some more games and manufacturers in order to make it more comprehensive.

Perhaps people could name any games they own that are missing from the rarity guide.

I can think of a few off the top of my head.

Manufacturer:

Hi-Score

Titles:

Crab Control

F18 vs Aliens

Dragon Heist

Time Warp

Dragon Treasure

if everybody looked through their collections and posted any titles that are missing maybe we could make this the most complete list of Atari games there is.

Just a thought.

Mitchell

Mitchell,

That is definitely a high priority. We just started adding international games which is why so many are missing. I expect that section to be updated heavily starting in a couple weeks. One thing we would really like to do though is only add games that we can verify visually. You don't have to actually send in a scan (although that would be ideal of course), but at least point us to a picture of some kind (it can be a lo-res digital photo of 10 carts or whatever, as long as we can see them).

This will keep the list accurate and eliminate the "are you sure that really exists" type questions. Thanks!