IGNORED

XBox emu configurationh

Spector

I've just got a modded Xbox and it's pretty good. I'm running a few emus on it and I see that there are a lot of options for configuring the display.

I basically just want my picture to look as close to the original TV display as possible. I see options such as "bilinear filtering", "Trilinear filtering" etc. What effect do these have on the picture? Also, what would you use out of these for the most TV-authentic picture?

While I'm at it, here's another question? I'm using Stella on Xbox. Is this the best Atari emu?

• 1 month later...

One thing you could always do is drop by the main emulator site and ask the question there. I don't know if you're using MAME or which under Linux. MAME is pretty popular and works pretty well, I've heard.

You could always approach trying to understand emulator software by trying to understand the hardware underneath. You *may* find this helpful. Maybe not, too -- some video stuff is, err, complex.

The XBOX uses some extremely complex video hardware. If memory serves, it uses an Nvidea chip and a Conexant video encoder.

What I would do, if I were you, is go over to, oh, xbox-scene.com, or the XBOX Linux Project at Sourceforge (sourceforge.com) and look up the datasheets on those parts. They're not that easy to find but they are findable there.

After that, I'd have a look at the emulator source code and see precisely what those options *do* to the hardware.

All in all, I'd say this is going to be a learning experience ...

*grins*

Best of luck on this. If I knew the answer directly, I'd tell you; the best I can do is point you to how to learn the answer.

Dave Small

yeah, that Mac emulator guy