IGNORED

Cinciclassic Report!

StanJr

Man, was this thing a blast. For my first classic gaming convention, I must say this was a lot of fun.

Somewhere around 10 booths overflowing with classic gaming stuff from VIC-20 and TRS-80 (which my girlfriend got for free!) to NES and PSX and beyond! Video games going on non-stop and tournaments, contests and great conversations. This was the real deal.

My collection got a real kick in the pants and I even got to meet the famous Snider-man (of MST3K and Venture II fame). I bought a good copy of Entombed from Snider and got a look at the limited edition Treasure Chest Venture II (NO HE HASN'T ANYMORE OF THEM).

What a great time!

Now if only I could have afforded that Zaxxon mini-arcade game.....

Convention-al Stan

I was thinking about going, after all it is only about a 4 - 5 hour drive from my house.

Perhaps next year I can save up some cash to actually get some games when I go. That's why I decided not go, don't have any cash to get anything.

Sounds like it would have been fun, perhaps it'll be even more fun next year when I go

Junie

Yeah, Junie, it'd be great if you come next year. I'll be there again for sure!

About the mini-Zaxxon. It was one of those little arcade replicas (looks like a little arcade machine, stick in the middle, button on either side) It was TOO FREAKIN' COOL!. The guy wanted $50, which I would have gladly given him (the thing was MINT, with batteries and played great!!!!!!) if only I had the money....

I just checked, the Tapper I bought there is a 6! I have a freakin' 6!!! Up until now the best I had was a couple of 4's. A 6!

I love gaming conventions!

I have a few of those Mini Arcades!! They are cool...None of mine are mint tho. I have Pac-Man, Q-Bert and Stargate. An old memory of mine. I was in Sears and they had just gotten in the new Mini Arcades. As a kid I was never really impressed with the things because they were nothing like the arcade really...Graphics wise. Well the Donkey Kong one showed a pic of the Mini-Arcade on the box...But the screen on the Mini-Arcade was straight outta the arcade. I was in awe of the thing and had to have one....Of course it was false advertising. The actual game was just like the others. watered down crap!! I do think they're cool now tho!! Retro I guess.

AAARRGGHHH! I just discovered that I passed up a Quest for Quintana Roo (the 8 rarity one) today at the convention. I have no idea how much the guy wanted for it! I didn't know it was so rare!!!!!

Wait, safety net, I have the guy's address or phone number or something, I think.

Wow. Can you feel it? The sheer thrill of the convention still lingers.....

Hey Stan, congrats on the Tapper cart, I probably walked by it five times before ultimately deciding to not buy it. This was my first video game convention as well, and I brought a friend who dabbles very little in video gaming, so I didn't stay too long (didn't want him to get too bored). I have to say that the trivia test was murder, and I was proud of my score of 33/90. I also have to say here that Snider-man is an extremely cool guy, and I bought almost all of the boxed Virtual Boy games from his table. I got Virtual League Baseball, also a different Japanese baseball game (my first ever video game that was not supposed to be released in the U.S.!!), and Teleroboxer from him for $20. I had already bought Wario Land from another vendor for $10 earlier. I left behind the Japanese Golf game when it appeared to be the same as the American release. I also got to play his MST2600 and Thrifting Simulation games, and really enjoyed them.

Other things I bought:

Pete Rose Baseball - rarity 5 - $5, also from that vendor, I got a Wico Command Control for my 5200, he unplugged it from the system after I died at Popeye and just sold it to me!! That was $15 I have a working 5200 controller now, HOODY HOO!!!!!

Miniature Golf - rarity 3 - $4, that was from the guy with the Tapper cart. (Was #2 on my top 5 wants!)

Fast Food - rarity 3 - $8, probably more than I would usually spend on a game like this, but it was high on my want list, so I splurged. (#4 of my top 5 wants!)

Robot Tank (blue label)- rarity 4 - $3, it had the screws showing, so he took a few bucks off, from the same dealer I got miniature golf. (#5 of my top 5 wants!)

I managed to get 3 of my top 5 wants for a total of $15!! The only games I couldn't find were Artillery Duel (#1) and Air Raiders (#3), but I guess I didn't look really hard, as apparently my friend found an Artillery Duel under a table in a box somewhere.

so $65 in about an hour and a half, I would have stayed longer, but I wasn't interested in playing in the tournaments, and I didn't have the dough to stay for auction time, and I didn't want my friend to die of boredom, so I drove back home and watched game show network all night long. It's been a wonderful weekend.

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was nice meeting the two of ya. I enjoy going to these smaller local 'cons 'cause it gives you a chance to socialize without trying to race around seeing everything.

I sent my pictures to Good Deal Games and Classic Gamer magazine, so there will be photos on-line soon. Though I thought I saw CinciClassic photos at www.videogameconnection.com

Snider-man

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

The guy wanted $50, which I would have gladly given him (the thing was MINT, with batteries and played great!!!!!!)

When the things were brand new back in the early 80's, I think they went for approx $70-$75. So that seems like a pretty good deal for a mint one.

By the way, handhelds are also a favorite interest of mine, especially arcade translations like that one. The Coleco Zaxxon looked real good but the gameplay is really hard

Aw, the rarity thing is just for fun, I don't take it real seriously. I mostly just get games that I want to have in my collection and games I will play. Quest for Quintana Roo is one of those games!

Hey scooter, are you the guy who balked at the $15 asking price for the Tapper cart on the left side of the room? If so, thanks! He told me that somebody balked at $15 so he dropped it to $10 for me! Convention Craziness! Don't feel bad, though, you snagged that Pete Rose Baseball I was looking for....

Man, the Cinciclassic was just great!

HEY! THAT'S ME! If you click on the link Snider-man posted and go to pics and then Cinci-classic page 3, the top pic is of me (can you tell by the shirt???) except the guy cut my head off so he could oogle my girlfriend!!!! Snider-man also makes an appearance two pics below us! Wahooo!

That trivia test was freakin' 4 pages long! I was WAY too busy looking at stuff and talking to people to spend a couple of hours filling that thing out.

I have no idea how many people were there. At times there were as few as 30 and as many as 60. However many, it was a great time, and everybody was having fun.

I actually played the Zaxxon mini, it was really tough, but man, it was so cool.

Nope Stan, I didn't see that Tapper. Did you get it from the guy with the 5200 and TV setup? That's where I found Pete Rose Baseball. Another vendor, second from the door on the right (just past the guy with all of the Playstation games) also had a Tapper, I walked by his 5 times, he gave me a card, so if I really want it, and he still has it, I can probably get it. He also was pretty cheap on his carts ($3 Blue label Robot Tank and $4 Miniature Golf!)

As for the rarity comment, I will occasionally use rarity to kind of guage what I'm willing to pay for a cart. If I find a cart I really want however, I usually buy it regardless of rarity or price. But if isn't on my top 5 want list, and I don't want to really leave without it. I'll usually use my personal rarity to price table to see whether it is worth it to me.

For those who are curious...

Scooterb23's personal rarity to price table...

Exceptions to the rule

1. Buy any game I don't own if it is $1 or less

2. If it is on my current top 5 want list, I will buy at ALMOST any price (up to double my equation result for that game)

Table

Rarity of cart 1-3 - $6 limit

"" "" 4-6 - $15 limit

any higher - $20 limit

I would really have to love a specific game before I'd go any higher than $20 for a 2600 cart.

That is my own personal guideline, and like I said, if I really love a game, that table can go right out the window.

And just to leave no stone unturned...

Top 5 wants

1. Artillery Duel

2. Air Raiders

3. Thunderground

4. Alien

5. Canyon Bomber

What's with all this rarity crap? You want a game or you don't want it (or need a game if you're a completist). You should be happy to own a game because you've been looking for it for a long time, because you like it's gameplay, or because it brings back great memories, not because someone designated a number to it.

How many visitors came to the CinciClassic? Sounded like a great bash.

For all you handheld & VFD lovers: there's a great book available (at Amazon) called Electronic Plastic and I can assure you it's worth the price. Rarity is 9, only 500 copies were printed (initially).

Hey guys, thanks to everyone for making the event the best one yet! As an organizer, all i can say is it wouldn't have been a success if you guys hadn't of showed up. Thanks again! Btw, I donated the tsr-80 to Stan. I put a "free to a good home sticker on it" lol! Thanks to everyone for all the great comments I got on my MAME cabinet too.

Here's a rundown of the stuff i picked up at the show. I DID spend about $100 though. Oh well :l

2600 games:

Porky's (got this one cause my label was trashed)

Karate (froggo)

Spiderdroid (froggo)

Pete rose baseball

Entombed

Tax Avoiders

Suicide Mission (sealed)

Quest for quintana Roo (Telegames) complete

Kung-fu superkicks (complete)

Custer's Revenge (complete)

Pick n' Pile (complete)

2600 instructions

Donkey Kong (atari)

Off the wall

Laser Gates

Name this game

Raft rider

Tunnel Runner

Spiderdroid

Night Driver (autographed by Rob Fulop!)

7800 games

mat mania challenge (sealed)

water ski (sealed)

James Bond 007

NES games

Secret scout + box

Sunday Funday box

Menace Beach Box

Baby Boomer instructions

Sega Master System games

18 complete games!

sincerely,