IGNORED

MAME... how slow can I go...

Red 5

I too, like the rest of the world it seems, am planning on building a mame machine. Just for classic arcade games. (Nothing after 1988)

Right now, I am running MAME beautifully on my computer which is a 2.3 ghz machine.

Can I use my older machine which is like a P2 or P3 tops and I believe 800 mhz. If I throw in 128 for RAM and a good sized hard drive would I be able to pull it off ?

I know a video card would be cheap because it doesn't take much there, but for my last question, how does it look on a TV instead of a monitor? I can afford a much bigger TV screen than I can a computer monitor screen, but how bad will it look?

Thanks for you help with this MAME newbie !

A P3@800 will run the classics just fine but you might need to use an older version to get the speed. I say might but I think you'll probably be ok even with a current version of mame.

I used to run Mame32 on a P3@550 and all the oldies worked great.

In fact, when I first started using Mame, it was on an AMD K63 @ 333mhz w/32megs and a 4 meg ati card. Even with that lame setup, the classics worked pretty good, but that was back in '98.