IGNORED

New 80's magazine featuring Atari stories... NOW AVAILABLE!

Stand back, folks...I'm a Canuck, I can handle this ;)

The Pop Shoppe was something I remember from the 70s. There was one up the street from where I'm typing this. You'd go there and there was DOZENS of different kinds of soft drinks in small bottles, which were short and fat. You'd walk around and fill a case with whatever you wanted. So you got a custom case every time and the price was reasonable since you came to them and you got money back on the empties. Its spokesperson was Maple Leafs hockey star Eddie Shack.

The magazine might be fun, but I'm too po' to get it :sad:

The Pop Shoppe was something I remember from the 70s. There was one up the street from where I'm typing this. You'd go there and there was DOZENS of different kinds of soft drinks in small bottles, which were short and fat. You'd walk around and fill a case with whatever you wanted. So you got a custom case every time and the price was reasonable since you came to them and you got money back on the empties. Its spokesperson was Maple Leafs hockey star Eddie Shack.

The magazine might be fun, but I'm too po' to get it    :sad:

Gawd, I haven't thought about the Pop Shoppe for years. There used to be one just down the street from me in Thornhill, Ontario. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I got my copy of the mag today. I sat down to just read the beginning but wound up devouring it and reading straight thru :D Some good articles on toys and candy from the 80's and of course a nice piece on the 2600. I especially enjoyed the sidebars about gamers memories. I have a little spot in those sidebars too but the others are much more entertaining than my crappy story.

It's especially interesting to me because this is written from a Canadian perspective and I grew up on Long Island in NY. It's funny to see how much stuff was the same but just a little bit different over there. For example I have never seen the Pop Shoppe place that there is a big article on. I'm not sure they even had this in the US. It seems like a great idea though and something I would have loved as a sugar hungry kid.

All things considered I really enjoyed the little trek down memory lane, I would say you'll definitely find something in here that makes you say, "Holy @!#@$! I remember that now! I forgot all about ____" :D

The magazine might be fun, but I'm too po' to get it    :sad:

Holy Moly!

I had no idea how big the Pop Shoppe was (or that it was Canadian.)

I've lived in the Richmond, Virginia area all of my life and always thought it was a local thing. Shoot, they even had competition: Lollipop. Lollipop was another shop just like the Pop Shoppe. I don't remember the color of the cases, though. I think they were blue. Wow. I had'nt thought of them in years. A quick Google for them returned this site: http://www.pww.on.ca/shoppe.htm

A nice little history lesson.

:)

• 5 months later...

WOW! I know of these 'pop shoppe' places! In Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada we had places like that and they were called Pic-A-Pop. Orange cases and you could buy 12 750ml bottles or a 24 case of 300ml bottles. When I first worked at a video store (my first real job in the early 90's) they were a Pic-A-Pop shop and there were some awesome flavours! (Lime!! YUMMY!)

Ahh memories of doing the Pic-A-Pop run with my Dad... usually followed by a trip to Woolco or Zellers (Canadian stores) for an Atari Game! :) Good times!

• 2 months later...

I guess that this 80's mag is more slanted at the US/North Am. market, don't forget that Atari's were also being both in the UK, as far back as 1977/78, the VCS and all that (Cherry leisure and sillica shop/mapplins respectively)

How about doing a version with a slant on the UK/EU market

BTW... Didn't you (clint thompson) used to contribute to Antic or Analog (as i definately remember the name 'clint' and 'thompson' and one or both of the above atari mag's mentioned in the same breath... or am i thinking of someone else

Here's a few of my recallections of the 1980's

Falklands War (1982)

Thatcher Landslide election victory (1983)

Toxteth/Brixton riots (1981)

The 1 Pound coin (circa 1982/3)

Charles and Di (chuck and Di's) Wedding 1981

Kevin Moran, the first player to get sent of in an FA cup final (1985)

My first Atari (may 1986)

My first Atari 1050 (working) disk drive 1987/8

My first Atari St 1988

Arsenal win the league championchip by the narrowest margin (by 1 goal scored in the last 5 minutes or normal time) playing away to Liverpool (1989)

The Young ones (a comedy serioes on BBC with Ade edmondson, Rik Mayal and Alexsi Sayle) V.early 80's

The original showing of the tv version of hitch hickers guide to the galaxy (BBC)

I'm sure theres more... my brain's fried at the mo