IGNORED

Riebl Ethernet cards

With all the talk about getting the ethernec back off the ground and just networking ST's in general...

I was curious if people out there who won the Atari/Riebl VME ethernet cards have had any success with them, I've toyed around many times with the ANS (Atari Network Services) files and MetaDOS, but have never managed to get them to access the card and get it up and running.

Anyone had any success with these cards, I've got one in my current TT030 and it would sure be great to move data to/from my TT via ethernet instead of using Ghostlink over a serial cable.

Curt

Gimme the low down on Mint if you wouldn't mind, I'm not familiar with the whole thing...

Does it allow TOS programs to run in the environment along side Mint based programs??? What about the desktop, it is still TOS or is it replaced with an xWindows motif or something.

Curt

Gimme the low down on Mint if you wouldn't mind, I'm not familiar with the whole thing...

Does it allow TOS programs to run in the environment along side Mint based programs???     What about the desktop, it is still TOS or is it replaced with an xWindows motif or something.

MiNT in general is replacement of (X)BIOS and GEMDOS layers. It has loadable modules for devices, filesystems and network. It allows to run most of TOS programms and they can run simultaneously.

MiNT alone has not graphics environment. But it is possible to start external one. As the result there is GEM environment which allow to run programms in multitasking. Most of clean (windowed) applications works nice.

Graphics environment consists of VDI, AES and desktop.

The oldest one is Multitos from ATARI. I had somewhere floppy with multitos which was included to my Falcon. There is everything in one package, but it is obsolete today.

It is possible to buy commercial VDI (NVDI) and AES (N.AES). Or you can use free components (fVDI, XaAES). XaAES is now included in FreeMiNT tree. There is lot of desktops here (Thing, Jinnee, Teradesk) and it is possible to use nearly anyone.

There is also X11 for MiNT. but it is memory hungry and there is not enough of application ported to Atari.