IGNORED

Best 5200 Games with Regular Controller:

RangerG

Let's make a list of the best games with 1) the regular 5200 controller (there are some!) and then a list for 2) best games with the trackball and finally a list with the 3) best games for a 2600 joystick or third-party controller. Reply to this message for best games with a regular controller and I will post two more messages for the other two choices. Thanks!

Xari Arena is a must with the 5200 controllers, it give the paddle that floaty feeling which works well with this game. I tried the regular controller with it and found that it didn't work as well.

Space Dungeon works well with the dual 5200 controllers.

The Last Starfighter works nicely because of the way the targeting system is set up.

I'm sure there are others, but not too many.

Tempest

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to not have as many problems using the floppy, non-centering sticks as others have had.

I will say that River Raid and Kangaroo are MAIMED by the controllers, hard-to-get-used-to, horrible control.

Missile Command works excellently, mainly because the coordinates on the stick are directly mapped to the screen coordinates. In other words, if you press up & to the left at an exact spot, the cursor goes THERE and stays there. You can have pinpoint accuracy this way.

• 1 year later...

Koffi is great with the stock analog stick. I'm sure it's because Cafeman developed and tested the game using regular controller at all times. Makes me think that some of the earlier programmers must have not been allowed to play test their games before shipping it out, I'm looking at you Gorf :x

Makes me think that some of the earlier programmers must have not been allowed to play test their games before shipping it out, I'm looking at you Gorf  :x

GORF reminds me of the drunk driving simulator we used in drives ed MANY years ago - you know, no matter which way you really steer, the car goes in a random direction anyway! :P

Robotron 2084 and Space dungeon rock with regular controllers. I also like Miner 2049er and BBSB and Beamrider with standard controllers.

As for the Trakball, I still have yet to find a better translation of Centipedw with the 5200 Trakball for any system including the Arcade Hits series for PSX. The only version that plays better than the 5200 version is the Coin Op.

My old post is back :wink:. After I posted I made a list of all 5200 games and each has a little letter next to it showing which controller works best for that game (much of the information I got from Voltman's page).

For games that work best with the regular analog stick, I have H.E.R.O and Star Wars: The Arcade Game and Zone Ranger; as well as, Robotron 2084 and Space Dungeon (but they are listed with a 2 meaning needing the dual controller attachment).

I now realize I need to update this list and add prototypes and homebrews because back then there was no AtariAge store or independent dealers that I knew of releasing cool looking reproductions and no homebrews either.

It is fun to dig through the filing cabinet and find old material that I know is in there!

I also really like the controls on Miner 2049'er ... you have pinpoint accuracy of control even with the stock analog sticks. Compare this with the crap control of Kangaroo! ugh!

From programming the system myself and from playing many games, I think the simple explanation for the better-controlling games is that they simply weren't coded to be very sensitive to the "inner" circle of joystick movement. This makes self-centering the stick pretty easy -- on my one stick w/the extra rubber, it centers itself.

I like all the games I've played with the 5200 controller. The non-centering thing never bothere me a bit, in fact I remember thinking it was an improvement on the stiff controllers of the 2600. The firing button was a problem though. Mine were constantly wearing out and I'd have to start using the firs button on the opposite side!

Pac man was a little difficult as was kangaroo, but all the other games I played seemed fine.