IGNORED

What's so bad about the 7800 joysticks

Ginjiroku7800

I have no quams with the 7800 sticks, either. My original two sticks I got with my 7800 still work fine.

Admittedly, they ain't no Epyx 500XJ, but after the Jag pad, they're the best controllers Atari ever made.

As for those god awful joypads Atari made - I wasted money on those pieces of crap. They're horrible, inprecise, and impossible to use for games because you can't single out up/down/left/right because they always end up pushing diagonally. CRAP!

Cheers!

I've always thought they felt initially comfortable, and they're just as responsive an precise to me as any other controller, but they tend to lead to horrible hand cramps in extended play, especially if your playing games that require both buttons. I do think the larger 5200 controllers are easier to get a decent grip on, and I like the fact that both buttons are on both sides, so you have a choice of what's more comfortable to you. Except for a few games like Pac-Man, I really like the 5200 analog control too, self-centering be damned! But they too lead to big time cramps in extended play, I do like both better than the original 2600 joysticks. The Jaguar has the best controllers of all, this side of the DC,PS2 and XBOX controllers. I certainly never liked the tiny little pads from Nintendo, Sega or Atari. I'll play with any Atari joysticks over those little pads anyday. But I don't mind pads if they are bigger than the Genesis/3DO/SNES pads, like the Saturn 3-d or the PSX dual shock or any of the newer ones above. They're all pretty comfortable compared to the older 8 and 16-bit pads.

I think they're wonderful, though I have come across a few that felt very sloppy, so I think there may be a lot of variance in quality with them. The ones I've got, though, are great - wonderful for Pitfall and Dragster.

Did i miss read or did someone say they didnt like the 7800joypad? I love the joypad much better than the proline joystick. As far as not being abile to move left right up and down like you would want on the joypad. I have no prob moveing as i want maybe you should try takeing the thumb stick off.

Yecht!

The JoyPads suck! Try playing Asteroids on it and you'll know what I mean! Stick or no stick screwed in!

However, sorry Clint but I can't bear to part with anything in my Atari collection just because... well, you probably know why!

Cheers!

Joey