IGNORED

TOS Operated Systems?

A2600

Another TOS compatible machine was the Hades, which was a bit more pwoerful than the Milan. It ran a patched TOS 3.06 (the last TOS that came on the TT). The first was 68040 based, but I believe there was a 68060 version too. It was made by Medusa systems.

There is also under development at the moment the ColdFire project, which will be a 68060 based system. I'm not sure how near completion it is.

neither the Milan or Hades are made anymore, unfortunately:(

The Milan060 from Milan Computer / Falkemedia was never official released. But there are Upgrade Kits to give a standard Milan a 060-CPU. Also the last project, the Phenix060 from Centek (France) wasn't released.

Released Systems are:

C-LAB MKI, MKII - 1st clones, after Atari has quit the computer market.

Eagle - Most unknown clone (released?)

Hades, Medusa - Both from Medusa Systems (Switzerland)

Milan - Falkemedia + Milan Computer (Kiel, Germany)

Mike

C-Lab Falcons were not clones. They were just modified falcons in a different case.

Since I have one, and been thouroghly looking it through, aswell as putting in a CT60, I should know. :)

The modifications were minor, the audio-fix (ofcourse) and also a timing fix to the CPU to remove some problems when doing HDD recording.

The case of MK-X is just a box that looks like a 19" 2U rackmounted unit.

Inside they fitted a 3.5" HDD instead of a 2.5" drive. And used the same PSU with an added connector for the HDD. (Not the best solution imho)

They also used a separated keyboard. And they seemed to have used 2 different approaches. The first one used a simple adapter to use a Mega ST/STE or TT keyboard. When they ran out of those, they fitted an adapter to use PS/2 keyboards.

There also room for an internal card. Although it do not connect inside the case, instead you had to connect it from the outside of the case.

In my MK-X, there was a SPD/IF internally. Although you had to connect it to an external FA8 to actually use it.

Other than that, it is just a plain F030.

---

On another note, there used to be business card vending machines that you could use to make a few business cards quickly, placed in malls around europe. Not that common, but not hard to find them either.

Don't know if they ever made it to the US.

Inside they used ST machines.

Not really clones, but some ppl might find it interesting though.

I remember getting excited over most of these clones, but as you guys have stated, a lot of them never saw the light of day.

Although not a clone the Atari Falcon, and C-Lab Falcon for that matter were the only TOS based computers mentioned here that I can remember being released.

As for the Eagle by GE-Soft, there was an article in the once Atari World magazine (UK), issue 2.

Its official distributor was Gasteiner here in the UK, but as mentioned I cannot remember it getting officially released.

The basic system was supposed to spec'd with a 68030 CPU running at 32MHz, with TOS 3.06.

True, I'd be interested in finding out how many of the aforementioned were produced, or if anyone has any of them.

I debated about getting a Milan for so long, then decided not to.

I guess everything from the Falcon and TT, to all of the clones mentioned here are pretty rare.

Actually, does anybody know how many Falcons and TTs were produced. Mega STEs for that matter too, they were all produced in

reasonably low numbers weren't they? :ponder:

I think I remeber reading somewhere that about 7,000 TT's were made, and around 2,000 ST-Books (the ST laptop that was intended to replace the STacy, very fragile). I've never seen any figure for the Falcon's, but they were more popular than the TT so I think it'd be at least 10,000 or 12,000 probabaly more since it was intended to be a mass market machine. I'm guessing the clones were all in the hundreds.