IGNORED

Atari On Fox NEWS

atari70s

This is along the same lines.. When I was in BCT in the US Army (Basic Combat Tranning.. Boot Camp) we had a NES game that we used to help practice our M-16 A2 rifles.

The NES had a special controller that looked, felt, and weighted the same as a M-16 and worked like a light gun on the game.

On the game we "shot" at pop-up targets at various distances on a green background. At the end of each level it would tell you how many shots you fired, how many targets you hit, and your percentage.

If you did bad you were required to get the Drill Sergent and het him know, which wasn't a good thing. Usually though the only problem was with the M-16 controller that had been so used and abused it didn't work that great.

If I remember right it had something like 5 different levels. The easy thing was the game targets never changed, at the real shooting range they usually varied which target popped-up.

To actually get to play the game you had to miss so many of the targets at the actual shooting range, and the Drill Sergents would send you to the building right behind us to go play the game.

Once you started to play the game you had to hit almost all the targets to go back and actually resume shooting real targets. Perhaps the point of the game was to save on actual Ammo, I'm not really sure.

To say the least many of us once we found out about the game, we started shooting poorly to go play the game. The game seemed to be a bit of a break from everything.

The game cartridge looked like a normal NES game. It had a text label that read, "Military Use Only", and that it was made by the Nintendo company and some numbers. I'm not sure if it had a actual name or not.

How do I feel? It scares me to picture 25 guys in suits pushing the stick on an atari saying "If we position our tanks here, their tanks won't be able to get us and we'll win!" Or something similar. That's how I feel OK, I just grabbed the rum an hour ago... And here's my dirtiest atari secret EVER.............

I've never played combat. Really. It's a two-player game isn't it? Like armor ambush?

quote:

Originally posted by ubersaurus:

Man, Junie, I wonder if that one ever got out and dumped.

I don't know, hopefully it will sooner or later. It would be fun to play again, no Drill Sergents over my shoulder watching me

What would be really nice would be having one of the M-16 controllers that didn't have any problems like the ones I had

They had 3 Nintendo's hooked-up, seperate TV's, games etc. and about 10 of those M-16 controllers (Many of which didn't work at all).

This was back in the spring of 1998, in May and June. I was actually in BCT from April 7 - June 6.

quote:

Originally posted by Sylentwulf:

Wow, you know what one of those carts and/or guns would go far?

I imagine some outragious price. I personally would like to have them

If they don't use them anymore I would guess they destroyed them, or some of the Drill Sergents made off with them before they were destroyed-- I hope the second happened.

I was stationed at Fort Sill Oklahoma for BCT. Lawton is a small city that is basically connected to Fort Sill. If any of the games or controllers can be found in the wild I imagine they are at some thrift stores in Lawton Oklahoma.

Don't forget "Bradley Trainer"... the special version of Battlezone that Atari made for the military. There's still a few of these machines out there, and the roms (to my knowledge) have not been dumped! Eventually, it may be impossible to play this piece of history...

--Zero

• 19 years later...