IGNORED

Game gear vs. Lynx

Atarifever

Hey, I know next to nothing about the lynx (I don't even think they were sold in my province) so I was wondering how it compares to the Sega Game Gear (which I bought earlier this week). Specifically, was it as battery hungry as the GG? Also, was it about a graphical equivilant or better? Just wondering, because I really like my Game Gear and was trying to decide if I want to go through the much more difficult (and necessarily ebay related) search for a lynx. Thanks.

The Lynx had slightly lower resolution, but was graphically superior to any portable until the Game Boy Advance came along. It was capable of 4096 colors, and as far as i'm concerned, a much nicer screen, with less blurring when things start moving around quickly. And it's capable of five or six hours of battery run time, or maybe a little more if you have a Mark II model Lynx with the backlight you can switch off to save energy.

I think both the Lynx and the Game Gear fell short of the TurboExpress, but neither of them cost near as much. I always preferred the Lynx to the Game Gear, although the GG wasn't that bad of a system. The slightly higher resolution had both it's good and bad points. Good in that more detail could be put into a game, but bad in that many times the sprites were way too small for it to matter. The GG was able to put more colors on screen too, but with most games you really didn't notice a difference between the Lynx and GG. The Lynx did have the better hardware effects though, such as the scaling. I think on a hardware level they were pretty comparable, with both having their good and bad points.

Both are staggeringly similar but i never liked the shape or feel of the lynx so befor you think about buying one try to actuly get a a hands on with one, because if you dont like how it feels your sunk. As far as hard ware goes they again they are very close spec wise but it hink the game gear has more games for it.

The Lynx had slightly lower resolution, but was graphically superior to any portable until the Game Boy Advance came along.

I don't know about that. I'd say the Nomad was the best portable until the GBA came out, but as always, that's just my opinion.

-S

I don't know about that. I'd say the Nomad was the best portable until the GBA came out, but as always, that's just my opinion.

Nomad was a Genesis game player. As for an exclusivly portable system, Lynx was the top tech until the GBA.

That really is just semantics though... Its not like the Nomad or the TurboExpress weren't competitors to the Lynx just because they were portable versions of consoles...

Going back to the original topic,

The GameGear had a much more flexible display system allowing for 32 colors onscreen without line interrupts and was tile based rather than using the lynx's bulky screenbuffer. However, the lynx had a far faster CPU, making that display buffer useful by creating the ability for software sprites and line or midline interrupts easier. The Lynx's VDP also supports sprite compression for benefitted execution (and let's not forget scaling and skewing effects), although the VDP and CPU cannot share the bus, which hinders the lynx's performance a bit. Battery life was quite even between the two. The lynx clearly wins in the hardware department, however in the software department, the GG had some prime titles in its time compared to the lynx.

If the TurboExpress or Nomad were included, they clearly outperform the lynx (and can give the GBA a run for its money IMO)

heck, the lynx was doing 3rd person realtime 3d games before anyone (electrocop,) the lynx was like 16mhz when everyone else was stretching to get near 8 mhz, and the GG wasn't even in the same league, much less ball-park. compare electrocop, or blue lightening or steel talons (for example of 3rd person, 3d scaling/rotation & 3d polygon power) to anything comparable on the 16bit systems of the time.

heck, the lynx was doing 3rd person realtime 3d games before anyone (electrocop,) the lynx was like 16mhz when everyone else was stretching to get near 8 mhz, and the GG wasn't even in the same league, much less ball-park. compare electrocop, or blue lightening or steel talons (for example of 3rd person, 3d scaling/rotation & 3d polygon power) to anything comparable on the 16bit systems of the time.

Correction; The lynx's VDP was 16Mhz, for all other purposes, it was a 4Mhz 65C02, most console VDPs were 21Mhz

It was and still is, a very powerful console, and wonderful development system. However, just the fact that it can scale and graphically distort (The lynx actually cannot rotate a sprite, only flip, scale, and skew) does not pit it against other consoles such as the Turbo, Genesis, or SNES.

I dont know, but wasnt the GG merely a portable Master System?

The Lynx was far superior to the GG and it has some advantages over the Nomad and Turbo Express as well; its biggest disadv. is its rather inferior screen (compared to systems like the nomad), but otherwise its an excellent hardware for sprites gfx.

BTW the Lynx can display more than 16 colors on time, go check Alpine Games :-)

I dare anybody to port Steel Talons and STUN Runner to the Turbografx/Express or Game Gear and have them run as well as on the Lynx.

The GameGear is too far out of range, the Turbo, However, is quite plauseable, and could be improved a bit over the lynx, if there were more Turbo dev tools available.

That's the division the Lynx will always triumph in.

The GameGear is too far out of range, the Turbo, However, is quite plauseable, and could be improved a bit over the lynx, if there were more Turbo dev tools available.

The Turbografx/Express doesn't have the sprite scaling power of the Lynx, and I don't see either game happening without it. I'm a huge fan of the Turbo, don't get me wrong.

The Turbografx/Express doesn't have the sprite scaling power of the Lynx, and I don't see either game happening without it. I'm a huge fan of the Turbo, don't get me wrong.

The Turbo does, however, have a faster CPU and seperate CPU and VDP busses, and aside from the lack of scaling, a very powerful VDP. Running the games in a small 160x102x4bpp window on the turbo with software scaling would not be a large issue, particularly with steel talon's framerate.