IGNORED

Games with Endings

Great Hierophant

While all Atari games end, mostly when the player loses his last life, Adventure and Haunted House, when you win at the level of difficulty play a little ditty and flash the screen. Pitfall II has Harry jump up and down when he collects the last of the three treasures. What other Atari games have endings like these? Pitfall, River Raid I and II, Hero, Solaris, Secret Quest, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Swordquests?

Here's some from Activision besides the ones you already mentioned: Chopper Command, Kaboom!, Laser Blast, Keystone Kapers, Decathlon, Beamrider, Pressure Cooker, Seaquest, Plaque Attack, Crackpots, Robot Tank, Private Eye, Space Shuttle, Starmaster, Oink!, Stampede, Spider Fighter, Dolphin, Megamania, Ghostbusters, Fishing Derby, Tennis, Cosmic Commuter, Double Dragon, Kung-Fu Master, and all timed type games. Not all have "special" graphics or music at the endings, but they all stop at a certain point.

While all Atari games end, mostly when the player loses his last life, Adventure and Haunted House, when you win at the level of difficulty play a little ditty and flash the screen.  Pitfall II has Harry jump up and down when he collects the last of the three treasures.  What other Atari games have endings like these?  Pitfall, River Raid II, Hero, Solaris, Secret Quest, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Swordquests?

Pitfall! has nothing special when it ends, just collect the last treasure before the time expires, score 114,000, and the games freezes.

H.E.R.O. just freezes and displays "!!!!!!" as the score to signify one million.

For River Raid II, when you reach 999,999, the score stops. So you cannot earn any more extra lives, but you can continue to play until you lose your remaining lives.

I wouldn't count sports, board game or racing titles 'cos it's pretty much a given that they end -- that's sort of the point of those games. Maze Craze doesn't really have an "ending" -- you just find the exit. Moreover, in single player mode you just keep going, random maze after random maze. I think by "having an end" he means having accomplished the ultimate goal of the game -- which of course requires the game to have an ultimate goal beyond a high score or best time.

I notice no one mentioned the Swordquest games. But that's an understandable oversight. :-)

Ghost Manor: Boy and girl, reunited, hold hands in the graveyard as the sun rises.

Awww.

Ghost Manor has to have the best ending of any 2600 game. One of my favorite games as well. :) I think Tomarc the Barbarian has an ending as well. Does Xenophobe have a conclusive ending? It would be a shame if it doesn't since it does have in between stage progress animations.