IGNORED

The official Cyplix High Score Challenge thread . . .

Cootster

If you haven't heard of Cyplix, it's a hack of Bi! Bi!/Sea Hunt/however many other titles the thing has by Atari Charles, and it's available at http://www.beepbopboop.com/

One of the original's distinguishing features, and the reason it isn't necessarily regarded as a good game, is that, well, it's very, VERY hard to even start successfully, due to the cunning enemy AI that hunts you down like so much dogmeat the second you jump off the platform. . .

But it does in fact have a strategy that Charles has detailed quite well in the Hacks forum here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60416

Simply put, it deserves a high score contest . . . And I don't think any previous version of it has been in the HSC, so here goes . . .

The contest ends one month from today (12/14), at 1:30 pm Central Standard Time (US). Just take a Z26 screenshot and post it here (or for those lucky Cuttle Cart owners, you can even take a pic of your TV and play on hardware). Whoever gets the highest score wins . . .

Uh, adulation and a sense of accomplishment. . . Actually, I have a prize idea . . . It is only a 4K game, right? . . . More on this later.

Oh, and a tip/semi-cheat:

-- Pluck off the two small fast Sea Ghosts and re-enter the platform by pressing up when in the middle. Because the game only calculates the score when you re-enter, you could conceivably do this forever . . . Because of this potential infinite 1000-point loop (it's not that easy, the Ghosts do come back), taking a screenshot of the game's second screen in addition to the score is preferred. . .

The Cyplix High Score Challenge is a Cootsters idea. Cootster was frustrated by the game at first, but he gave it a chance and now enjoys playing Cyplix. Cootster hypes up the game because he gave it a chance and enjoyed it.

Cyplix is a difficult game, but it gets easier once you figure out how the Sea Ghosts think and the strategy of the game. I'm sorry if Kepone dislikes the game Cyplix, but I'll admit Kepone is a great guard of Cyplix's prisoners(see Cyplix Storyline).

Cyplix can be terribly frustrating at times, and at other times be greatly rewarding.

Cootster and I are working on some ideas for prizes. A Cyplix Cartridge of the gameCyplix may be viable as a first place prize.

I have decided that there will be a second place prize of either money(sent to winner via paypal) or an Atari or Atari related item.

Nothing like successfully faking the Sea Ghosts . . . Actually, the game isn't insanely hard at all after that first jump in the water . . . Although, hopefully, you're not trying to return to screen 1 after grabbing ET/ET Jr/Ms. Pac from any place other than right in the middle . . . Think Galaga, kind of, where getting cornered is never a good idea . . .

Have to admit, I haven't played it in the last couple of days, been playing Flicky on the Sega 6-in-1. . . Now, that's frustraddictive (and would make a cool 2600 port, actually) . . .

And I'd be able to swing cash at or around the time this puppy ends. . . The only trouble is, well, it doesn't really scream "token of accomplishment" . . .

Looking at the original game and this hack, I think the programmer should ditch E.T. entirely and make this a Pac-man only theme. Put Pac Jr. in there instead.

I think the idea behind the hack is to take elements from three (thought to be) "horrible" games and combine them into something new. In the past, there has been talk of Pacman, E.T., and Sea Hunt being horrible games. On the other hand, I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Pac-Man Junior. ;-)

Surely though you can change Pac-man back to yellow and make his mouth open a bit wider?

Graphic hacks are very easy to pull off. The release of tools like Hack-o-matic have even made it easier than before; A guy can literally hack new graphics into a game within minutes - as easily as manipulating a black & white bitmap in Paintshop. Hacking color isn't nearly as easy to pull off. Nukey Shay and others in the hacks forum are always ready to lend a hand with this sort of thing, but the truth be known... some of us are just happy to find enough time to goof off with the graphics. :-) It is a nice thought though.

Anyways, here is my contest entry. I can't figure figure out where z26 has started putting my screengrabs, so I had go take to dig out my digital camera. Score: 56500

Initially, I had Pac-Man's mouth open wider but I decided that since he wasn't eating the ghosts, but instead blasting them with a power pellet, a partial mouth movement would be enough.

As for Pac-Man's color. Since this Pac-Man is an organic Pac-Man and has been made from a caucasian human to Pac-man conversion, his flesh color is pink instead of yellow. Oddly enough, when you play Cyplix during a radiation storm(it happens randomly), then Pac-Man's skin color is yellow. The Cyplix Storyline and manual cover the radiation storms and the technology used to covert a human into Pac-Man.

"mojofltr" is right. I wanted to combine a few equally horrid games into one completely horrid game. Also I used Bi! Bi!, because it is an obscure pirate game and no one had hacked it yet or would probably want to.

I have always enjoyed playing E.T. and Pac-Man dispite their inherent flaws.

I am glad we are starting to get some competitors and this contest rolling.

(Didn't notice Kepone's post till now)

It's crappy game. Furthermore, I don't understand how you can possibly hype it up.
I don't understand why you insist on trolling the issue from one thread to another! In the last thread you said you were only giving your honest opinion - great, you got it out. Now that we've all heard it before, what is the point in cluttering a new thread with your pointless drivel? Go somewhere else to boost your post count.

Well Ms. Pacman wasn't considered one of those BAD games...
Ah, you're right. I forgot that she is in there.

Wait, I thought you'd said you'd gotten 520K, not just 52 . . .

I've beaten you all, and I can't enter, because it's my contest :-(

Wow, really? that would take some time to get in the six digits. I was thinking that the scoreboard was going to roll after 99,999 points. It is your contest, but I don't see why you shouldn't post your own score just to show off a little. :-) I would, if I were you.

I will try and find time to beat my old score later. It'd be neat to push into a six digit figure. :-)

Hello Everyone:

Yes, Pac-Man does have a purple hue to him.

There are probably a few things I would change about this game, had I to do it over. Overall I am happy with this game and my intentions for it.

Radiation Storms:

This is an interesting occurance that I don't fully understand. I use the Z26 emulator and there are times when I play Cyplix(right at start-up) the screen flashes(like a lightning storm) and the colors change(the colors go from normal good weather colors, to Post Apocolyptic Colors. It could be the games interaction with the emulator or some code that I changed.

Regarding Kepone:

mojofltr hit the nail on the head. I don't really know why Kepone wants to slag the game other than his and my opposing views on life or because he found the game hard and gave up to soon.

Kepone is the first Sea Cy-Ghost to come out. He does very well as a guard for the captives. He has killed me a few times in the game. Both Kepone and Cpuwiz gave their consent(I asked them first) for me to use their usernames as names for the Sea Cy-Ghosts.

Prizes:

The First Place winner will get a Prototype Cartridge version of Cyplix.

The Second Place winner will get ???(coming soon)

If we can swing a third place catagory, I will. I depends on what the costs will be for the first and second prizes will come out to.

As this contest is an evolving contest. The prizes have been upgraded and there will be a third place prize.

1st Place: Cyplix pre-release cartridge for the Atari 2600 and ???(coming soon)

2nd Place: Cyplix pre-release cartridge

3rd Place: $10 U.S. as either a credit for the Atari Age store or as a Pay Pal Payment.

You can post your new scores as many times as you like until the contest is concluded on December 14th/2004.

• 2 weeks later...

Crimefighter's high score is indeed a tough score to beat. Is anyone up to the challenge? Each competitor is only eligeable for one place(1st, 2nd, or 3rd place). So even if Crimefighter wins 1st place, this is the only place he can win in and thus the second and third prize will go to other competitors who score second and the third highest scores. I felt I should clarify this.

Also, the Cyplix cartridges for this contest(there will be two of them as prizes, one for myself, and one for Cootster for all of his help) will be pre-release copies and will be indicated as such somewhere on the label. There will only be four pre-release Cyplix cartridges made in existance ever.

Then there will be run of Cyplix Cartridges made for purchase in a variety of online stores. These cartridges should be available early 2005.

Good luck to all competitors!!

Atari Charles

P.S. Remember the contest ends December 14 at 1:30 pm Central Standard Time. So have your screenshot(s) posted by then.

1st Place: Cyplix pre-release cartridge for the Atari 2600 and one Cyplix item(merchandise).

2nd Place: Cyplix pre-release cartridge

3rd Place: $10 U.S. as either a credit for the Atari Age store or as a Pay Pal Payment

In total there will be 4 pre-release Cyplix cartridges made. One will go to the 1st place winner, one will go to the 2nd place winner, one will go to myself, and one will go to Cootster(for his idea to have this contest and his work on this contest).