IGNORED

X-Arcade joystick for MAME cab ?

Red 5

I am thinking of getting an x-arcade joystick to use in my MAME cab.

(This one http://www.x-arcade.com/two-player.shtml )

I was wondering if anyone else has tried to install this into a cabinet, and how (or if) you permanantly mounted it.

I know cabs are different sizes and shapes, but I just wanted to get a few ideas of how other people did it.

It can be done, and I think it's pretty easy.

BUT, usually when you look at a cabinet with an X-Arcade, well frankly, it looks like crap. It doesn't look nearly as good as it would with a custom control panel. And making a custom control panel is usually cheaper too.

One example is this cab. Actually, it's not a very good example, because it still looks okay, but it would look a lot better with a custom built control panel. The x-arcade always just looks like an addition, rather than being part of the cab

I actually tried doing this when I built my cab. I just didn't like to look of it, so after destroying my X-Arcade by sawing off some corners to make it fit my cab (yes, don't say :ponder: ), in the end I decided to make my own control panel.

I did, however, decide to use the X-Arcade PCB because I really like the easy to use programmability. Also the 4 configurable button sets are perfect for use in a cab. (a set for mame, a set for Winuae etc).

Works like a charm!

Though next time I'll just order a loose pcb of X-Gaming

:D

Thanks for the input.

I found out that I will be getting the X-Arcade stick for Christmas, so I guess I will have to see for myself.

I have been cleaning out, and fixing up an old cabinet I got.

The fun part is that after scaping away layer after layer of paint, I found out that this was an original 'Missile Command'

Pretty cool ! 8)

Inside, on the bottom shelf under a load of crap was th schematic for missile command as well.

Anyway, it appears that I have some flexibility with the cab so I hope I can make it work with the X-Arcade. If it looks like crap or an add-on, I will probably make my own. I am pretty good at woodworking and am betting on making it look half way decent. I will post pics when I am done. (Hopefully in January)

Thanks again for the info.

What frontend is that in the link? I have been looking for one when I do my mame machine computer, what is the name of that one?!?!

I think it is MameWah, a fully configurable, multi emulator frontend.

I tried about every frontend available, and this is the one I ultimately prefer. Takes a little tinkering, but you'll be rewarded.

http://mamewah.mameworld.net/