IGNORED

PAL Xenophobe rarity.

King Atari

The amount of PAL games in the rarity guide is very small, and I'm assuming that the only games that are listed are those that are only available as PAL. I'm not sure what Alex and Albert's plans are regarding PAL games, but I wouldn't expect them in there anytime soon. I will say that it's definitely less rare than the NTSC version, and I would guess that it's probably a 4 or so (Maybe a 5)

Marco and some of the other european collectors around here might be able to give you a better guess.

--Zero

Actually, Alex and I have started in our endeavors to add foreign titles to the rarity guide. A few weeks ago we added support to the pages for searching and filtering by international titles (based on regions, North America, South America, Europe, Australia and Asia), as well as by PAL and NTSC (might have to add SECAM). This allows us a great deal of flexibility in accurately describing each game.

Here's the thread where we made the announcement. We've kept this somewhat low key at the moment as even though we added nearly 500 foreign titles so far, that's only a fraction of everything out there. But we'll keep adding titles, generally by company. For instance, yesterday we added Puzzy games, complete with cart, manual, and box scans, as well as the ROMs (we'll put up screenshots soon). And we added cart scans and ROMs for Video Gems games. Our aim is to build a comprehensive and accurate listing of foreign titles, while giving people the ability to only see the games they're interested in.

As always, we welcome feedback and without the wonderful help of all the foreign collectors out there we wouldn't be able to embark on this venture!

..Al

Albert,

if this helps, in regard to your Video Games section, Video Gems was a VHS company in the 80's. As far as I know, they were best known for releases of various horror flicks. I've got some of their videos, 2 different copies of "The Blob" and the original release of "Son of Blob". I can't see how another company could be formed without running into some kind of lawsuit. It should also be mentioned that logo you have pictured and the logo on the VHS boxes are different. Hope this helps a little in helping you figure out about all those foreign companies.

I'm guessing Video Gems is a european company, so it's entirely possible that they could exist at the same time as an American Video Gems company, even though they did different things. Europe has different patent offices and stuff.

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by atari70s:

You know alex,albert. you should do copywrite years if you have th space and time. it would be cool to see all the carts left for me to get.im yet to see another 1993 atari 2600 pacman game

Our plans include removing minor label variations from the rarity guide and displaying them within the profile page for each game. This will prevent the rarity guide from getting cluttered up with every minor copyright change to a game, while still providing a means for people to view these labels. In time.

..Al

I think they had offices all over the place. I'll dig one of the tapes out later and see where it was made, maybe give a clue about the games. My guess is that(bear in mind I haven't seen the cartridge label scans yet, so if they have a different date that proves me wrong, sorry) they saw that there was a crash occuring in the U.S. or thought they'd have little success, and decided on overseas distribution instead. This would explain the different logo, as logos were often changed for overseas marketing, and, as I said before, I don't think there could have been 2 different companies without a lawsuit resulting, unless they merged. Either way, they no longer exist as a company, at least a video company. Of course, they could be known as something else now.