IGNORED

Wild Western questions...

Cybergoth

Hi there!

Man I can't remember much, but I think there was a jump button to hop onto the train in additional to the fire button..

Hm... I think I tried that, but when getting too close to the train I just lose a life :?

Greetings,

Manuel

I'm taking a wild guess here, but I think I recall that you have to clear the screen of bad guys from the left of the train then the right.. then you have a chance to hop on the train and then you can shoot from the train..

I don't have mame at work or else I'd give it a try..

Hi there!

I have a few questions about Wild Western:

- What is the second fire-button for?

Wild Western had a dial control where you clicked the dial in the direction you wanted to shoot.. then you pressed the dial down to shoot. The BUTTON that you're talking about however, was used to jump on the train :) It takes a bit of skill though if I remember correctly.. but the last time I played this game was like 22 years ago or something..... :ponder:

- What can you do against the robber sitting on the train in stage 3?

You get on the train yourself and kill him.

- What do you have to do when the music changes and the canyons come?

Nothing. You just have to ride along the canyons as they are just obstacles and barriers.

Hi there!

Wild Western had a dial control where you clicked the dial in the direction you wanted to shoot.. then you pressed the dial down to shoot.

Yup, I figured that already. I recently bought one of those cool Joypads with two analog sticks, a digital pad and lotsa buttons, so I can now easily MAME games with the weirdest control schemes :D

The BUTTON that you're talking about however, was used to jump on the train :)  It takes a bit of skill though if I remember correctly..

Ah, Ok. Guess I have to try harder then :)

You get on the train yourself and kill him.

I see. Makes sense now.

Nothing. You just have to ride along the canyons as they are just obstacles and barriers.

Ok. do you have any clue why it is that sometimes it's immediate Game Over after losing the last life and sometimes the game continues to play (without you) for almost a minute?

Greetings,

Manuel

Ah, Ok. Guess I have to try harder then :)

Now that I think about it more.. I don't think you can jump on the train until a robber is on there too. You don't have to get too close to the train, just near enough. You can also jump back on your horse when he comes back.

Ok. do you have any clue why it is that sometimes it's immediate Game Over after losing the last life and sometimes the game continues to play (without you) for almost a minute?

Yeah I guess that's just the way it is! :lol: The arcade game definitely did that if I remember correctly.. especially when you were in the obstacle areas. I think also too you can clear a stage and the game will go on for a little while before it ends, like when you wait until the train stops at a station.

Now you made me want to try playing this game again.. :D It's a good example of early Taito coming out of the Space Invader years. I remember this game next to an Alpine Ski, a Taito Defender, and 2 Space Invader machines (one was part 2).. mmmmmmmm :love:

The arcade game does have some wierd things about it. The score table is not the correct height (some of the lettering is off), and the game does keep playing sometimes for like a minute after you die.

The controls and pinouts are the same for Front Line, The Tin Star and Wild Western. Just sold a minty WW about two years ago. I bought it because I loved it as a kid. Played it at a K-Mart if I recall correctly. I am always amazed when others remember this game.

Cassidy