IGNORED

Just got sniped!

shining slade

It shouldn't matter whether you do it by hand or by software. All you're doing is placing a bid like everybody else :)

It's kind of like saying.. I'd rather sit there and hit the "record button on my VCR/Tivo manually when the show starts!". I mean if you prefer that way then more power to you. But for me, why bother? :P

The person with the highest bid wins everytime! Snipe or not.

Not really. When you bid on an item, and you put in your max bid, then someone comes along and outbids you with a snip by a penny, would you say you wouldn't be willing to go another penny higher?

Personally, I think sniping should be not allowed. It's an unfair advantage to the average ebayer who isn't savy enough to use a sniping program.

That said though I snipe myself. I got tired of being outbid by pennies when I put in my max bid. Ebay needs to make these auctions like real auctions, and keep going until there are no more bids. I'm sure sellers would love it that way thats for sure!

Not really.  When you bid on an item,  and you put in your max bid, then someone comes along and outbids you with a snip by a penny,  would you say you wouldn't be willing to go another penny higher?

Not really, max bid means max bid.

Personally,  I think sniping should be not allowed.  It's an unfair advantage to the average ebayer who isn't savy enough to use a sniping program.

crybaby2.gif

That said though I snipe myself.  I got tired of being outbid by pennies when I put in my max bid.  Ebay needs to make these auctions like real auctions, and keep going until there are no more bids.  I'm sure sellers would love it that way thats for sure!

I don't agree with you that sniping should not be allowed. But I do wonder why eBay doesn't go the route where they extend the auction by a few minutes at the end each time a bid is received at the last moment. You're right, sellers would love it and eBay would receive higher ending fees as a result. It would remove the "excitement" of bidding at the last moment, though, and perhaps this is what helps draw some people in to bid on items. This has doubtless been suggested to them countless times--I wonder if they've ever made a statement about it?

..Al

Personally, I wouldn't like to see it go the extended auction route. Sniping is most of the fun of eBay! Keeps you guessing to the very last second. Gets the adrenaline pumping as you over over the keyboard and try and time it down to the last few seconds (for those of us who snipe the real man's way. :-)).

You get rid of that and frankly, auctions would just become boring.

Sniping really don't matter simply the highest bid wins and unless they bid up to the next increment then they will not win it the earliest bid will, what kills me is people who claim that they do not have time to come back on a sniper to beat them out. They would not have this problem if you would bid your max when you bid. I rarely snipe, I bid my maximum and move on to the next one if I get it I get if I don't somoene wanted it more than I did. I used to snip all the time on my exes ID because we had other bidders who would bid on stuff simply because we were bidding on it. It can also help protect you from a shill bid.

As a seller I say bring on the snipers I love them..

...And fair. :P :) :D

That's what I said. Boring. :-P

Seriously, I'd wager sniping is a good part of the reason a large portion of eBayers use eBay. I know that I probably wouldn't bid on half the stuff I do if I couldn't snipe. Remember the auctiongoer mindset: It's all about the bargains! Or at least the possibility of them. Most of the people shop eBay because there's a good chance they can get what they want cheaper than they could get it elsewhere. They may not in the end, but it's the idea that that could that draws them. For those that snipe, that possibility decreases significantly.

...And fair. :P :) :D

That's what I said. Boring. :-P

Seriously, I'd wager sniping is a good part of the reason a large portion of eBayers use eBay. I know that I probably wouldn't bid on half the stuff I do if I couldn't snipe. Remember the auctiongoer mindset: It's all about the bargains! Or at least the possibility of them. Most of the people shop eBay because there's a good chance they can get what they want cheaper than they could get it elsewhere. They may not in the end, but it's the idea that that could that draws them. For those that snipe, that possibility decreases significantly.

No, I admit sniping is fun. There is a rush in doing it...winning any auction sniping or no is a bit of a rush. (some may call that a sickness!)

When i snipe i snipe high. How this helps is it mask my interest in the auction and keeps the dumb new bidders from bidding 100 times trying to beat my bid. So it goes to the highest bidder but at the same time the auction will not be over bid on by someone dead set on winning and placing a bid over and over.

When i snipe i snipe high. How this helps is it mask my interest in the auction and keeps the dumb new bidders from bidding 100 times trying to beat my bid. So it goes to the highest bidder but at the same time the auction will not be over bid on by someone dead set on winning and placing a bid over and over.

I've seen that strategy backfire more than once. Especially if you get 2 people doing the high snipe at the same time.