IGNORED

my fixer-upper

spongebue

it's not too pretty, but the wood is in pretty decent shape and I think that once I am done, it will be awesome. I'm going to use an AMD-K6 450MHz box with MAME for the insides, though that is running a little slow with Windows 2000. I'm thinking about going to Windows 98 or maybe way down to DOS, but I don't think my brother would like that because he really likes the look of Arcade Jukebox, which does not work with DOS. Anyway I thought I'd show off my cab (which I got for free) a little bit and ask what kind of paint you guys would recommend for it. I've heard automotive paint is pretty good.

arcade.jpg

not my backyard, by the way.

Also, how much would the board go for on ebay? It is Jamma and the game is US Classic (since it's a little hard to tell by the pic)

Looks like a nice cabinet - and not a bad price! Not sure how much a board would be, but it's not the original cabinet. Looks like a Nintendo (Donkey Kong?) cabinet and the game was made by Seta (licensed by Taito). The Gameroom video game price guide lists the entire game in the $150-$250 price range - good luck finding the board though.

I used the exact same cabinet for my MAME cabinet. Well, mine's orange, but other than that, it's the same.

The biggest problem is, the way the monitor mounts. Mine didn't have a monitor either but had remnants of a monitor shelf so I reinforced it and put my monitor on it. It's WAY too low. If you are standing, it points at your chest. I need to redo it and put the monitor at an angle, but then I'll have to hand make some sort of 3D bezel to block out the sides.

BTW I stuck a 21" VGA monitor in there, no problem. Seems like inside was 24-25" inches, plenty of room for a 21" monitor or 20" television.

Very cool, good luck with your MAME project. Putting together a nice MAME cabinet is one of those projects that I've been wanting to do for the past several years. But I know it'll take a fair amount of effort and time, and I also don't really have a lot of space to work on something like this. However, a friend of mine does have all the wood working equipment and he built himself a rather nice MAME cabinet (built his own control panel, nice keyboard tray, etc..) I have plenty of computers I could donate to the cause, so I just need to find a good donor cabinet and get going. :)

..Al

These are the parts I am getting to bring the Pole Position back to full operational status, some I already have, like the wheel logo sticker, the ARII boards the monitor glass and the marquee glass, but all they are is plain glass, I have to get the underlays pictured here for the control panel, and the monitor glass, then a new control panel overlay, here is a listing of the parts I have gotten, the parts I have left to get, and what I have spent so far:

POLE POSITION PARTS LISTING

1 Control Panel hogan ryan $ 80.00 (INSTALLED) Electronics

1 Vision Pro Std Monitor arcade shop amsmts $179.00 (N) Hardware

1 Pole Position cabinet joe pastucci $ 64.00 (AP) Hardware

1 Pole Position Pedal joe pastucci FREE (INSTALLED) Electronics

2 Game PCB's dmfjr@aol.com $ 45.00 (OO) Electronics

1 Monitor Glass Underlay arcadegrafix.com $ 40.00 (N) Cosmetic

1 Control Panel Overlay arcadegrafix.com $ 35.00 (N) Cosmetic

1 Marquee Underlay arcadegrafix.com $ 15.00 (N) Cosmetic

2 ARII Audio Regulator Boards markline vending $ 39.95 (INSTALLED) Electronics

1 Cardboard Bezel jim melcher $ 35.00 (OO) Cosmetic

1 Shifter Trim Ring richardchez@aol.com $ 24.99 (INSTALLED) Hardware

1 Marquee Glass azbunnie@aol.com $ 10.00 (AP) Hardware

1 Steering Wheel Sticker stephen beall $ 9.00 (N) Cosmetic

4 Leg Leveler Mounting Plates therealbobroberts.com $ 9.00 (OO) Hardware

4 Leg Levelers therealbobroberts.com $ 3.00 (OO) Hardware

1 Atari AC Line Cord therealbobroberts.com $ 4.00 (OO) Electrical

1 Access Door Lock happ controls $ 4.00 (N) Hardware

2 Coin Door Locks happ controls $ 8.00 (N) Hardware

1 Monitor Glass rinehart studios $ 5.00 (INSTALLED) Hardware

1 Spec Sheet brentradio $ 5.00 (N) Cosmetic

1 Filter Board tony "xot" morse $ 4.50 (AP) Hardware

2 Coin Door Mechs tony "xot" morse $ 4.50 (INSTALLED) Hardware

1 Rear Access Door Home Depot $ (N) Hardware

1 Fluorescent Light Bar(bulb) Wal*Mart $ (N) Electrical

2 Marquee Brackets arcadesforsale.com $ (OO) Cosmetic

1 Monitor Glass Bracket arcadesforsale.com $ (OO) Cosmetic

AP=Already Purchased

N=Not Purchased

OW=On The Way

OO=On Order

Now without further hesitation, here are pictures of everything that I am using so far and getting to restore this Pole Position to a perfect showpiece:

post-2131-1101938650_thumb.jpg

Very cool, good luck with your MAME project.  Putting together a nice MAME cabinet is one of those projects that I've been wanting to do for the past several years.  But I know it'll take a fair amount of effort and time, and I also don't really have a lot of space to work on something like this.  However, a friend of mine does have all the wood working equipment and he built himself a rather nice MAME cabinet (built his own control panel, nice keyboard tray, etc..)   I have plenty of computers I could donate to the cause, so I just need to find a good donor cabinet and get going.  :)

..Al

Weekend after next is SuperAuctions in Mesquite (just outside of Dallas). Hang around to the end of the auction and you can get non-working cabinets in fair shape for $5-10.

Weekend after next is SuperAuctions in Mesquite (just outside of Dallas). Hang around to the end of the auction and you can get non-working cabinets in fair shape for $5-10.

I've been to those auctions before (and have bought machines in the past) but haven't been to one in a few years now. I don't think I need the temptation right now, as I don't have a lot of space to store extra cabinets (even one right now would be a pain). However, when I do decide to finally put together a nice MAME cabinet, I probably will wait for a SuperAuction and see what I can pick up. You definitely can get some great bargains at the end. :)

..Al