IGNORED

Getting a refund on Atari Flashback from Target?

IWantMyMoneyBack

Just say it won't work right/is defective, don't offer any details and keep the reciept. When they try to offer you another one say something like "with the bad experience I had with this one, I don't want to take a chance" If you don't have the reciept then you'll probably end up w/ store credit at worst. If they try to argue say louder and louder that you have a young child this was a gift for and that they were so upset they are crying in their room at home, and things like how upset you are and how this is ruining Target's image (lol).

Mind you, you didn't hear any of this from me. :wink:

This thread looks like a troll attempt.  If you bought it at Target, bring it back wtih your receipt and you will get your money back without any hassle at all.  That's what I did.  That's the way normal retail works (except for opened software, movies, and music, but that's another rant).

I agree about the troll attempt, but I have to totally disagree about Target's refund policy. If it is an opened electronics item, they will fight you tooth and nail to not give you yor money back. I actually like Target don't get me wrong, but I will never buy electronics there.

My brother had bought me a VCR a few years back (well, for my kids). the thing was so damn loud we couldn't stand it. When I brought it back, they told me "exchange for same or store credit only", even though my brother had paid by credit card. Had he bought it at WalMart, or Sears I would have been handed cash, since he paid by credit card, once the store gets authorization it's thier money. I might have walked around the stor with that cash and bought something else. But since they felt the need to strongarm me I called my brother right from the store. He met me 10 minutes later and after screaming at the manager, they agreed to credit back his card.

So yes, normal retail is only happy to provide that kind of customer service. Target feels once they have your money you can't have it back.

Your out of luck.  Target doesn't let anyone get there money back.  They are like a dictatorship that way.

That about sums it up.

I agree about the troll attempt, but I have to totally disagree about Target's refund policy.  If it is an opened electronics item, they will fight you tooth and nail to not give you yor money back.  I actually like Target don't get me wrong, but I will never buy electronics there.  

My brother had bought me a VCR a few years back (well, for my kids). the thing was so damn loud we couldn't stand it.  When I brought it back, they told me "exchange for same or store credit only", even though my brother had paid by credit card.  Had he bought it at WalMart, or Sears I would have been handed cash, since he paid by credit card, once the store gets authorization it's thier money.  I might have walked around the stor with that cash and bought something else.  But since they felt the need to strongarm me I called my brother right from the store. He met me 10 minutes later and after screaming at the manager, they agreed to credit back his card.  

So yes, normal retail is only happy to provide that kind of customer service.  Target feels once they have your money you can't have it back.

If that ever happens to you again, simply tell them that if they will not credit back your card that you'll file a chargeback with your credit card company which would mean that they'd be out both the VCR and the money. :twisted:

I agree about the troll attempt, but I have to totally disagree about Target's refund policy.  If it is an opened electronics item, they will fight you tooth and nail to not give you yor money back.  I actually like Target don't get me wrong, but I will never buy electronics there.  

My brother had bought me a VCR a few years back (well, for my kids). the thing was so damn loud we couldn't stand it.  When I brought it back, they told me "exchange for same or store credit only", even though my brother had paid by credit card.  Had he bought it at WalMart, or Sears I would have been handed cash, since he paid by credit card, once the store gets authorization it's thier money.  I might have walked around the stor with that cash and bought something else.  But since they felt the need to strongarm me I called my brother right from the store. He met me 10 minutes later and after screaming at the manager, they agreed to credit back his card.  

So yes, normal retail is only happy to provide that kind of customer service.  Target feels once they have your money you can't have it back.

If that ever happens to you again, simply tell them that if they will not credit back your card that you'll file a chargeback with your credit card company which would mean that they'd be out both the VCR and the money. :twisted:

Actually, I didn't initially want the card credited back. I wanted cash, which is as I mentioned what Sears and/or WalMart will do without hesitation. They would only issue a replacement or store credit. Then I said "Fine' just go ahead and credit back my brothers' card". The mgr said he needed the actual card in hand, despite the number being printed on the receipt (yes, the entire number).

Ultimately I spend my money elsewhere, and it was a long time before I stepped foot in a Target again. Probably just an over-zealous manager but nevertheless it left me po'd at Target for a while.

Actually,  I didn't initially want the card credited back.  I wanted cash, which is as I mentioned what Sears and/or WalMart will do without hesitation.  They would only issue a replacement or store credit. Then I said "Fine' just go ahead and credit back my brothers' card".   The mgr said he needed the actual card in hand, despite the number being printed on the receipt (yes, the entire number).
That's not exactly hassling the customer -- what you did was ask the retail store to give a cash advance on a credit card, the sort of thing that banks will do for a member, but nothing to expect from a retail store. They're well within their rights to refuse such a transaction. You might as well have written them a check and demanded cash back on the spot. Not gonna happen.

Actually,  I didn't initially want the card credited back.  I wanted cash, which is as I mentioned what Sears and/or WalMart will do without hesitation.  They would only issue a replacement or store credit. Then I said "Fine' just go ahead and credit back my brothers' card".   The mgr said he needed the actual card in hand, despite the number being printed on the receipt (yes, the entire number).
That's not exactly hassling the customer -- what you did was ask the retail store to give a cash advance on a credit card, the sort of thing that banks will do for a member, but nothing to expect from a retail store. They're well within their rights to refuse such a transaction. You might as well have written them a check and demanded cash back on the spot. Not gonna happen.

Um...actually no. Totally different.

When a retail outlet gets an authorization for a credit card purchase, that's cash in thier hands. The bank that that particular Visa/Matercard is channeled through pays an insurance premium to cover losses to thier cardholders for fraud. Probably why 99% of retailers do not check identification or verify signatures when you use a credit card. They have zero liability therefore they have no motivation to spend time training employees to spot fraud. Like a cash advance however, once authorization is given, the bank is cleared of liability (and you dont have to be a member, just take a Visa to any bank that has a Visa emblem in thier window, they will do a cash advance)

Checks however, have no such protection for the retailer. Which is why, unlike a credit card they tend to check ID, call the bank, etc...Also, checks can come back for up to 11 days in many states.

Again, it probably just happened to be a store manager fresh out of Target sales college, and put customer service 2nd behind the sale or rather the prospect of losing it.

Go buy something from WalMart using a credit or even a debit card. then go back the next day and return the item. They will issue cash on the spot (assuming you have a receipt)

Trust me friend. I've been in banking for 16 years. Yes the store was well within thier right to make the return process difficult, but only because they chose to, not because there was a chance of them losing penny one.

Actually, some credit cards put statements in their merchant agreements that state that the merchant is only allowed to put the credit back on the card and not give back cash. The reason is simple: if they gave you cash back, there would be nothing stopping you from getting your cash and then calling the credit card company and requesting a chargeback. I used to run a small business and that was definitely in our agreement. I had an employee give a customer cash back, and the credit card company almost took our account away.

Here's an idea that just may work on returns. Bring along a couple 2600 carts and complain this "new" system doesn't have anything for playing game carts like your "old" system.

Probably won't work well unless someone in the customer service actually remembers or have an actual 2600 or 7800 system.