IGNORED

Need a little help with my new Missile Command

DamonicFury

I just bought my first arcade game this weekend! And it's one of my all-time favorites, Missile Command. :-)

The first day I had it was a complete joy. Played great!

The next day it would only start with random noise and screen garbage. I followed the instructions on the inside of the machine for the self test, and it indicated that one of the RAM chips was bad. I resolved myself to get some 4116 chips and try to replace the bad one.

But this morning, it actually came up working ok again... once. Powering the machine on and off afterwards brought it back to it's non-working state.

So, I'm doubting it's really a bad RAM chip, but perhaps instead a power supply issue.

I have some soldering skills, and some basic electronics knowledge, but I'm far from an expert. Any help in getting it to work consistently would be really appreciated.

Congrats on the classic!

Got out to www.therealbobroberts.com and buy the replacement capacitor for the bottom of the machine. Its the big 22,000 Mfd capacitor, should cost about 15 bucks with shipping.

Then get the 4116 and replace them. If you can, might be worth resoldering in a new socket for the one that tested bad.

Of course, I am assuming you have cleaned the board connector where the harness plugs in? MC's are tempermental, and not the easiest thing to keep working.

HTH,

Cassidy

Thanks so much for the tips!

I'll be sure to replace that "big blue" capacitor.... it sounds like a very likely cause of the problem.

I haven't yet cleaned the PCB connector, but I'll do that when I get home today.

It doesn't appear like anything has ever been replaced in this cabinet... it's amazing it works as well as it does after 24 years!

Someday, I'll want to replace the monitor... the "High Scores","Defend Cities", "Bonus City at 10000", and landscape have all been burned into it. But it's not very noticeable until the blue sky wave starts.

Thanks again for the tips, Cassidy!

Monitors can be had pretty cheap if you shop around. I usually get a few when they go on sale through happ (www.happcontrols.com). Get the generic monitors; they last a few years (thats if they are left on constantly), and cost less than half the cost of a good one. They go on sale for around 165-175 during the year.

Make sure you reseat all the chips on that board, too. I have seen poor connections on the ROMS (the row furthest away from the connector side of the board) cause all sorts of trouble on that board!

HTH,

Cassidy

Ok, the big blue capacitor is replaced (by a big black one!) And I've replaced the 1st and 3rd RAM chips. However, the game's self test still claims the 3rd RAM chip is malfunctioning. :-( Also, I'm not getting any screen garbage anymore... just a big white screen.

Any more tips? I'm really wondering if I have the skillz to make this thing work.

I'm very appreciative of any further advice! I'm tempted to send the board away for more professional repair...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WD1V

Might this be a good idea?