IGNORED

Galaxy Wars = Taito?

Cybergoth

Hi there!

There seems to be some confusion on the net wether the "Galaxy Wars" arcade is from Universal or Taito. I think it is an original Universal game which was only licensed to Taito.

Reason I believe this is the SNES version, which is clearly crediting Universal for the game:

snes_0143_07.png

Greetings,

Manuel

hrm.. weird! I didn't even know there was an SNES version! Thanks, I'll have to check that out! :D

Now that Universal credit I can't explain.

I've always been almost 100% positive it is Taito. I remember when the some Space Invaders machines started getting conversions, and Galaxy Wars was probably the first I remember them being converted to! And one look and play of the game, and it's obviously Space Invaders hardware through and through... even down to the recycled sounds.

However now that you show that screenshot.. I dunno! :?

Ok... I talked to my other late 70/early 80 jap arcade game contact and this is what we came up with.

Basically the laws of what's bootleg and "original" break down when you talk about games from that era, ie pre 1980.

The japs at that time were bootlegging each other like mad, and Taito was no exception. Anything from that era was made by everyone.. i.e. every man and his dog were making it... or bootlegging it, whatever you want to call it, but it's important to realize it wasn't bootlegging in the classic sense because all the jap companies were in bed together. Everybody was making whatever was the latest game with no idea who made it originally as a lot of the production plants were controlled by organized crime. They borrowed each others cabinet production, pcb production, art production and places/facilities

As to it's similarities to S.I., the 8080 system was used 1975 to 1980 because CPU's were still expensive, and this was a cost-effective platform to develop on. Taito came up with a really good 8080 system, they made it modular and expandable and it was easy to write games on. So, if you're a bootlegger, or another company looking for fast cash, why develop your own pcb set when you can just make your own game on that hardware and license/borrow the pcb plant to make your own pcbs. Thats why there are so many games that run on SI hardware, (remember that midway merely licensed this hardware for N. America)

Having said all that, even though he even owns a Taito branded Galaxy Wars Sound board, his suspicion is that Universal probably DID come up with the original game. And I guess that SNES port sort of semi-solidfies that idea :)

Hi there!

Uihjah! The Arcade Game Flyer archive has even flyers for both:

Taito:

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyerdb&...e=thumbs&id=431

Universal:

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyerdb&...e=thumbs&id=432

And what's also interesting is this here, a flyer for Add-On Packs to the Arcade(!) version of Taitos "Arcade Classics":

http://www.arcadeflyers.com/?page=flyerdb&...=thumbs&id=4281

As you can see the "Arcade Museum" pack contains "Galaxy Wars" again!

Greetings,

Manuel

Interestingly, the KLOV entry is just as confusing.

http://coin.klov.com/game_detail.php?lette...=G&game_id=7895

It gives the manufacturer as Taito, but the marquee image clearly says "Universal" in the upper-right.

And take a look at this:

Notice the marquee for Galaxy Rescue looks pretty much exactly the same as that one on Klov for Galaxy Wars, and it too says Universal :P Yet of course Klov says Galaxy Rescue is also Taito :lol:

post-31-1101949910_thumb.jpg