IGNORED

Programs for hacking?

Lauren Tyler

PM sent with ideas! :) Sorry, should have posted it here! Actually I will, in case others need the info:

I started off just hacking graphics for fun, using Hackomatic II. After a while, I found that I wanted to change certain aspects of the program. For myself, I found that looking at commented assemblies helped me to learn a bit, since assembly is still new to me as well. If you have time, try out the tutorials for new programmers in the AA forums, or post questions in the forums for what you decide to start with. Most people here are very friendly and don't mind helping out a newbie (like myself) with their problems. I had a lot of help from people to finish Haunted Adventure (well, it's about 98% done now, just some post production).

For writing the code, I use "TextPad", which you can download and use for free, but it's nagware (keeps bugging you until you pay a small fee). It's better than using Wordpad or Notepad, which somehow corrupt my files. Compile your code using the latest version of DASM. All these items are linked from the AA website somewhere - sorry, I don't have the link at the top of my head right now.

I hope this helps to get you started. I'm still learning; I still haven't written my own kernal yet, but I'm planning to get to that when I have some more time. Let me know if you have any more questions (I'm sure others are more capable of giving you better answers!).

Cheers,

Tony :)