IGNORED

Effects of Antique Roadshow?

Lost Monkey

Has anyone else seen prices which may be the after effects of the 2600 showing up on the "Antiques Roadshow" recently?

I ran into a 4 switch 2600 (console only!) for the super low price of $39.99 today at Value Village. I've never seen one priced above $10.00 there before and there is usually one every 1-2 weeks for around $5.99.

This thing will sit there now and get golfed and ridden around by every hyperactive unsupervised kid in town until it gets smashed and then they'll just throw it out......

Moycon: It's funny that you mention it.. coz that's *my* auction. 6-switch, 29 games, 2 joysticks, 1 set of paddles, no instructions. Right now it's up to $76.00 with 8 hours to go.

I'm still trying to get over my auction that ended yesterday. A 2600 *JR* with 44 games for $142.50. I'm somewhat worried that the guy won't send me the money. I can't believe it went for that much.

I highly doubt this recent raise in prices is due to The Antiques Roadshow. Actually The Antiques Roadshow has done pieces on the 2600 before in the past as well. There have also been numerous articles about classic gaming in newspapers around the country (and world!). The most recent example I can think of is the St. Paul Pioneer Press -- there was an large article on the front page of the technology section regarding the 2600 as a collectable.

I do think the recent price increase is due to the holiday season. It happens every year.

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: twit ]

Now is the time of year (at least in the coin op collector's world) that you play your games instead of buying more. Wait for the Christmas rush is over, and I have a feeling the prices will go down. If anything right now, I have a feeling the "super rares" are going to be going cheaper, because no one in their right mind pays as much as we do for carts. Your commons will go up, because that is what people remember. I had never seen or played a real Quadrun until I got mine, or a Crazy Climber. I was an average kid, and played common games. That was the allure of the whole thing (collecting that is) in the first place.

Cassidy

I still say the RECENT showing of Antiques Roadshow will have little effect, since that episode has been in reruns for over a year (this was just the most recent showing, I have seen it at least 6 times in the past year).

I agree that holidays and probably our constant bombardment of the thrift shops solely for classic games is more of a factor on recnt price hikes. For the record, I have seen no change in prices at all.

Well since this is my first time on any type of message board dealing with video game collecting and information, i never really saw the up and down market during the holidays, cause when the flea markets closed in Michigan i usually stop collecting ( durning the winter months)and the only times ive been on Ebay was to get pictures of my systems and clicking on the links people post on this site

Unless its collecting games for systems that are on the Store shelves

I thought the Roadshow might have had something to do with it, but as i read more about it from you guys i think maybe its just that time of the season to make a few more bucks (cause the holidays can make you pay more then you normally would for something)

This is when you hit the thrift stores like st vincent or Value World. And Gibralter is a steady stream of atari stuff. Once the Game Spot in Garden City had alot of atari games. I didn't have the cash for them though...Jaguar, Lynx, a bunch of games, some of them semi rare, and me with no money. ach. I went back the following day, but all that was left was Intellivision's Sea Battle.

normally i would go to thrift stores but im to busy using my money to buy presents for family and friends and driving any where during the holiday shopping season just depresses/scares me (ive been hit atleast 10 times during this part of the year)

and shopping for myself is limited to the malls and modern games for my modern systems

It seems to me that prices are constantly increasing on eBay.

For example - I bought a t-shirt of a band i like a few months back and before I had worn it I happened to notice the same shirt sold on eBay for around $30.00 U.S. so I decided I would sell it (at a 1100% profit). Anyway the shirt sold for something like $31.00. The buyer never paid me and I relisted it a month later only to see it sell for $40.00 - again the buyer didn't pay and another month later I relisted the shirt AGAIN - it sold this time for $51.00!!!!!! There were always two or three of the same shirts up at the same time as mine and they all sold for a similar amount.

Also the pac-man telephone that I used to try win on eBay - every month the price they went for increased giving me no chance of ever winning one. (I ended up finding one at a Thrift Store).

The only problem with eBay is, whenever I find a game I want to buy, my man Ianoid is already way ahead of me.  

I share your pain, curse that Ianoid, no matter how much I bid on something if Ianoid bids he always beats me.

quote:

Originally posted by King_Asmo:

Ahh.. don't be too hard on ol' Ianoid... he's a really great guy.. and you have to admire anyone who has a For Trade pile more impressive than most people's collections.

But one day I'll beat him in an auction...

OK, to totally veer off topic for a momnet...

Ianoid is a great guy -- and he's definitely not prone to the "look what I got" attitude that many people with big collections can afford to have.

Then again, I don't bid on eBay stuff...

I don't think it is antique roadshow either. It is like this every year. Sales go way up at the start of Novemeber and staay there until mid to late january. Everyone buying those stcking stuffers than spending the Christmas cash. Usually at the start of Febuary things start to level back off. But BOY do I love November and December !!!