IGNORED

Flashback joysticks

davidcalgary29

Sorry for this but Necro bumping seems to be the thing.

I'm not sure if it's because this thread is mad old but I'm not seeing any of the images if there are any. 

I'm looking for an 8 pin cable with the Atari logo on it. Can anyone confirm if the 7800 style Atari flashback controllers carry the correct 8 pins for the cable itself to be used on a 7800? As in pin 7 is the only unpopulated pin through the cable? Or are there less populated pins? Even better if it carries all 9.

I tried looking for the information but this seems to be the only thread about it. Well, that and one other one that points to this one. Haha.

Any info is appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Dopy25 said:

Basically, 

Would it be possible to use the cable as a replacement cable on a 7800 pro line if I cut/desoldered it from the flashback joystick board.

Just get yourself one of these

https://console5.com/store/atari-sega-commodore-coleco-msx-6-1-8m-joystick-controller-project-repair-cable-cord.html

14 minutes ago, john_q_atari said:

I've bought a bunch of extension cables and cut off one end. I'm not so much worried about finding a replacement. I've bought a bunch of stuff from console5.

Also the cost of that is more than what I can currently find a flashback controller for.

I'm really just looking to see if all 9 pins run from the controller port to the controller. 

I appreciate the info, but I'm looking for an answer for aesthetic purposes. The flashback controller cables say Atari on the plug. Third party replacement cables don't. 

Edited by Dopy25

I get all of these replacement cables but I was still curious about the flashbacks because they say ATARI on them. None of the third party ones do.

I know it sounds dumb, but I was looking for a reasonable solution for converting an NES controller to 7800 and wanted it to say Atari on it so it would be known in many years that it works for Atari, and not Sega, as most people will eventually associate the db9 with if they saw it on an NES controller. 

I don't have the ability or equipment to print faces for the NES controller like retrogameboyz so I wanted something on the controller that would not change, and still be obvious, or at least intuitive to whoever inherits my boring console collection in my demise.  

2 hours ago, Dopy25 said:

... I was looking for a reasonable solution for converting an NES controller to 7800 and wanted it to say Atari on it...

what about translucid heat shrink and a distinctive label over the connector body or even wrapped on the cable (next to connector?)

Are you on electronics? a microcontrolled based converter would provide such conversion and at the same time would be something distinguishable from a regular controller.

3 hours ago, Danjovic said:

what about translucid heat shrink and a distinctive label over the connector body or even wrapped on the cable (next to connector?)

Now that sounds like a reasonable option, albeit not appearing factory.

3 hours ago, Danjovic said:

Are you on electronics? a microcontrolled based converter would provide such conversion and at the same time would be something distinguishable from a regular controller.

I wish I were smart enough to make a controller converter with a micro controller. Kind of like a snac solution for a mister. 

If I keep thinking about it, I'll go down the rabbit hole and try to figure it out. Haha.

On 12/6/2004 at 4:15 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Forgive me if this has already been answered in that other multi-page thread, but I was overcome by laziness halfway into the third page and had to quit. :D

Has anyone attempted to use the "Flashback" joysticks with a regular 7800? I have to say that I find them to be a 100% improvement over those hated Prolines, and would love to use it with my 7800 when I get it out of storage.

I have a way of doing it.  First you'll need to obtain a cut-off NES controller cord.  Then take a solderless male 9 pin connector and figure out the pinout for the mini-7800 Flashback controller (which in reality is just a Famiclone controller) so that each exposed wire can be properly connected to the proper pins of that solderless connector.  The proper connection is shown at the 21 min 53 second point of this video I made:  https://youtu.be/OGUFRtBVYU4

Then plug your Flashback controller into the adapter you just made and test it on an NES.  If it works, you are almost there.

Five items have to be purchased in order to get that adapted Famiclone joystick (or any NES controller for that matter) working properly on the 7800:

1) an Edladdin Seagull 78 controller adapter.

2) a Camerica Freedom Stick with Receiver.  You are really just after the receiver.  The receiver has the capability to have NES cables or Genesis 9 pin cables attached to it.  Make sure to obtain the Genesis 9 pin cables.  

3) a Camerica Freedom Connection device (don't necessarily need the receiver it came packaged with).

4) an NES controller extension cable.

5) an NES Fourscore multitap.

Method:

Plug 1 into controller port one of your 7800. 

Plug 2 (the receiver with 9 pin cables- preferably the "controller 2" cable) into 1.

Plug your Mini-7800 Flashback joystick with homemade solderless plug adapter into 5.

Plug 5 into 4.

Plug 4 into 3.

Now turn on your 7800 with game inserted (preferably a game that uses 2 buttons), and then turn on your Camerica Freedom Connection (set to represent controller 2).

Enjoy using your Flashback controller on your 7800.

Here is my proof of concept video on this:

Edited by ave1
  • Like 1