IGNORED

Supr Mario Bros. 7800? Is it gonna happen?

Shawn

I just got stuck on the first hard jump in the sewers. I wasn't expecting it and I was on my last guy and of course I fell a long ways. I don't even see how you can make it.  :?  

The fast scrolling is impressive. I wasn't expecting the game to scroll along like it does as I'm used to things being a little slower on the other 7800 games I have. It's perfect with the 7800 joypad. If Atari does release anything like the Flashback in the future, I think it would be very smart to include this game.

Is this in 2-3?

First, as much as you don't want to hear it ... a proline is more appropriate for SCRAPYARD DOG than a joypad as it's more sensitive.

What you want to do is jump to the leftmost pipe and walk as far as you can to the left without falling off. Then push right and don't let up until Louise is about to fall off the rightmost pipe .... then jump. The momentum of dropping from two of the pipes to the third gives him the trajectory needed.

There's another rotten jump around level 5-3, I think.

So the word is that I should go play Scrapyard Dog and forget my idea of ever seeing SMB ported to the 7800 right :( ? Is there anyone here that thinks if they wanted to that they could do do this port to the 7800 of SMB and just has not got the time or intrest? I am really into getting mario 1 for the 7800 I just think it would be awsome. Hell make SMB 2j then if SMB1 isn't good enough. SMB 2j has got to be worth the while. :D

So the word is that I should go play Scrapyard Dog and forget my idea of ever seeing SMB ported to the 7800 right :( ? Is there anyone here that thinks if they wanted to that they could do do this port to the 7800 of SMB and just has not got the time or intrest? I am really into getting mario 1 for the 7800 I just think it would be awsome. Hell make SMB 2j then if SMB1 isn't good enough. SMB 2j has got to be worth the while. :D

There's no doubt in my mind that it could be done. With some efficient use of direct mode graphics, there should be plenty of rendering time for everything. The ROM size might need to be a little larger though, because the 7800 benefits from wider graphics which might include redundant information. The NES stores everything in 8x8 and gets by fine with lots of tiles on screen. NES SMB was only 40KB, so rom size isn't a big issue anyway. Although it'd be nice if it could fit on a Ballblazer cart.

Back in the day, SMB was the first game that got me obsessed with the idea of getting a NES. I was frustrated that my 7800 didn't have games like that. So I'd feel some belated vindication in seeing it done. But nowadays SMB isn't as exciting as it used to be, and since its Nintendo's IP I think its unlikely anyone would want to bother with it, especially considering how much work would be involved. If only the copyright would expire after 20 years - but it doesn't.

I wouldn't say give up on the idea. I'm just saying that until another platformer comes out on the 7800, SD should be good enough to fill in for it. I don't ever plan on seeing SMB on the 7800 due to copyright laws but I wouldn't rule out seeing some games like it. After playing SD, I'm pretty sure that it could handle games like SMB. :)

@Drac

The jump I died on was World 1 Level 3 where you have those pipes you have to jump onto and there's that pipe that's far off. I was expecting it as it was the first time I played the level and I fell into the sewage :woozy: It just so happened that I was on my last guy so I had to start all over again. :mad:

Well it would not have to have a wide release. It could be sold privately among us could it not? As long as its not advertised or sold on ebay I don't think there is much chance of a nintendo lawsuit. I just really want this game for the 7800. A personal dream of my own to have SMB for the 7800. Would money help to get someone to do this? I have no idea how long it takes to port a game or whatever but I will pay to have this game made. What is a good price? Well tell me what you want to do it and I can tell you if I can afford it or not. I could also coug up some rare games too I.E. Up N Down and others.

• 2 weeks later...