IGNORED

HELP NEEDED : Genesis Model 2 AV MOD

Shawn

Hello,

I want to put AV ports on the back of my genesis model 2 system. I know you can just get a cord to do this but I want actual AV out on the back of my machine. Anyone got a chart or instructions on how to do this MOD I am asking about? The More detailed (the most simple also) way of doing this would be best. I am quite handy with console electronics but I just don't know what to do to this machine to get what I want and I only have one extra system to to try this on so I thought it would be best to ask for help instead of taking the chance of junking my system when I might get help from the forum.

Thanks In Advance,

Shawn Sr.

It's real easy. Composite audio/video is already wired to the din connector on the back. The original cord comes out of the console into an external RF modulator and then into your TV. Here is a pinout of the A/V output port:

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

When you're done it should look somthing like this:

http://img102.exs.cx/img102/4291/19_1.jpg

And while you're at it you might as well de-solder the original red LED and install a "Sonic Blue" one, like this:

http://img49.exs.cx/img49/828/GenesisIILED.jpg

32xpin.jpg

Ok,

So number 4 on the chart is video right? And 8 & 9 are stereo audio. What do I use as them as the outside circle or the inner male part of the video (or audio) coneector cable? Also what do I use for the outsideinside afterward? Is it just a gound? and if so should I just ground it to the metal casing inside the console? Double Down could you send me or post a detailed picture of the guts? I am more of a tactile learner. :sad:

I'd have to take one apart to show you. I don't have internal pics of any of the work I've done. The easiest way to do it is this. If you have a SEGA A/V cable plug it into the port. Flip over the board and with a multimeter check for continunaty against each RCA Plug's tip to each of the 9 solder pads. So for example hook one lead to the center tip of the video wire (yellow) and touch the other lead to each of the 9 solder joints untill you find which one it matches. Do the same for the audio. Then surrounding those 9 solder points there should be 4 larger solder points. Those are the solder points for the Mini-Din connector itself and they are also all grounds. Grab your ground from there. If I'm not mistaken there are some versions of the Sega Model II that doesn't have stereo sound so you would grab the audio (mono) positive wire to the center of the panel mount RCA jack and the ground to the ground ring and then just piggy back those signals over to the other audio jack. Not true stereo, but at least it will give you sound out of both speakers.