IGNORED

atari 2600 problems

RangerG

I just bought a 2600 4 switch from the flea market. I got it home, excitedly hooked it up, plugged it in, and nothing. I didn't pay much for it and I can still use the joysticks, but any suggestions for some simple test/fix tricks before I just give up on it. I checked the how to section of the site and old messages, but there is so much information on this site that I decided to just put up a help message. Everyone is always helpful. Thanks in advance. -- RG

Make sure your using a good RF switch.

Make sure the switch is turned to computer/game.

Make sure the connections are tight.

Make sure the channel switch on the atari and the tv channel are the same.

Clean the game you're using to test with alcohol on a qtip (even if works with another Atari).

Make sure the wall socket has power (heh, that happened to me last night... /shrug).

Ok, if you are absolutely positive it is none of these things. Then you can clean the Atari to game connection in the Atari with alcohol on a qtip.

If that doesn't work, I usually put the Atari in my spare parts bin and get another...

RangerG, have you tried replacing the RF cable? my 4switch looked dead but replacing the cable did the trick. Sometimes it's not straightforward cause you'll have to open the unit.

So I'd suggest you open it and also clean the tracks, mostly the cart plug. Also check if, when turning it on, the screen gives a little feedback (a short flash of noise).

I just don't like the idea of having a potentially working 2600 just sit there collecting dust!

rasty.-