IGNORED

How the Gates Stole Christmas... :)

Cybernoid

Here is another experiment with some higher fidelity audio. This time the audio is sampled at 16kHz, but I am doing some tricks to vibrate the speaker faster than the ear can hear it to cause some half volume samples. This creates a pseudo-7bit PCM playback and works great on the emulator.

I need to try this on the real hardware. I would guess that it might cause some frequency aliasing, and you might hear some unwanted high frequencies...

pcm_test1.zip

Well, you are just supposed to hear some audio.

Just as I expected, the 6bit+ doesn't work on the real hardware, showing that frequency aliasing is not really emulated properly. Well, it works but with a horrible hiss.

6bit PCM at 13.3KHz sampling rate it not that bad though...

Nice one Cybernoid - Pretty good sound quality :) :thumbsup:

Just curious regarding your first one - 6 Bit, 4Khz.

(I'm too lazy to dissable your code I guess) If your're not wiggling the volumes faster than the sample rate like the other example, how're you doing it then?

thanks!

Nice one Cybernoid - Pretty good sound quality :)  :thumbsup:  

Just curious regarding your first one - 6 Bit, 4Khz.

(I'm too lazy to dissable your code I guess) If your're not wiggling the volumes faster than the sample rate like the other example, how're you doing it then?

thanks!

Thanks! Yeah, that one was pure 6bit. Here are a few more 6bit 13.3kHz samples, and the source code. These sound great on the real hardware.

The code uses all 4 pokey voices in volume only mode for an effective 6bit range. There are some more experiments I am working on, so it may still be possible to do better than 6bit.

I am ultimately working on a player for the MaxFlash Cart and for MyIDE.

The Flash Cart code is written, but I still have a few more questions for Steve... I have talked to Mr. Atari as well.

~C~

wavplay.zip

Thanks for sharing the code Cybernoid - I'll be looking at it with a fine tooth comb - My experiments with combining channel volumes on samples

were awful! In fact I was even thinking that when using volume only the full excursion of the speaker was effected by just one channel. Nice to know it can be done :)