IGNORED

More Beef for the Holidays

kenfused

Atart 5200 Beef Drop Cartridge secret codes not in the manual for anyone who has never found them:

Play with 4 more screens for a total of 10 screens (you have to clear the first 6 screens though)

Enter 243 on the title screen, the sound heard when picking up a bonus pepper object should be heard. You must reset to clear this code.

Play in Mirror mode

Enter 767 on the title screen. The sound you hear when you run out of pepper when you press the button should be heard. All screens in the game will be flipped horizonally (makes more of a difference for some then the others. This code is a toggle.

The above two can be combined.

• 2 months later...

Hey Kenfused, others,

Question about the new Beef Drop for the computer: Why does this game run on a 5200 and not a 400 computer? I read that both of these systems are pretty similar, so I'm guessing the 400 has only 16K or RAM, while the 5200 has 32K?

Question about the new Beef Drop for the computer: Why does this game run on a 5200 and not a 400 computer?  I read that both of these systems are pretty similar, so I'm guessing the 400 has only 16K or RAM, while the 5200 has 32K?

The Atari 5200 allows for non-bankswitched, 32K cartridges, and Beef Drop takes full advantage of that and is a 32K game. Because the entire game can run from the cartridge, less RAM is required. However, the Atari 8-bit computers only support 16K cartridges, and to go above that you need to bankswitch. In order to make Beef Drop easier to port, it copies a portion of itself into the computer's RAM (16K, I believe), and thus, requires more memory than the 5200 version. Ken and/or Bryan can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is the gist of it.

..Al

The Atari 5200 allows for non-bankswitched, 32K cartridges, and Beef Drop takes full advantage of that and is a 32K game.  Because the entire game can run from the cartridge, less RAM is required.  However, the Atari 8-bit computers only support 16K cartridges, and to go above that you need to bankswitch.  In order to make Beef Drop easier to port, it copies a portion of itself into the computer's RAM (16K, I believe), and thus, requires more memory than the 5200 version.  Ken and/or Bryan can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is the gist of it.  

..Al

It could be ported to only need 16K RAM, but it would take a lot more time since I would have to restructure the code and move various routines to be in various banks. It is much faster coding to just have it bank in the various banks at startup and copy the lower 16K into place.

It was mentioned the bonus screens and such are not available on the 800 version - thats the reason for the sad face - I still plan on buying it though - I want another kenfused surprise :)

I compressed the screen to free up some space to put them in. It also gave me enough room to add an arcade-ish font. There is even another 3K ROM free that I don't really have time to fill.

• 5 months later...

I just purchased Beef Drop, and am quite happy with it! I'm going to have to work on some better strategies for a couple of the levels (something besides using all my pepper in a single level). One question: Why does the music become out of sync after a while? I noticed that was happening with the earlier in-development ROMs as well, but maybe nobody mentioned it back then. Even with this problem, though, I still enjoy the game!

I just purchased Beef Drop, and am quite happy with it!  I'm going to have to work on some better strategies for a couple of the levels (something besides using all my pepper in a single level).  One question: Why does the music become out of sync after a while?  I noticed that was happening with the earlier in-development ROMs as well, but maybe nobody mentioned it back then.  Even with this problem, though, I still enjoy the game!

911546[/snapback]

yeah, the strategy is definitely unique for the 5200 version, more similiarities to the 2600 version (and the extremely crappy C64 thing they try to call burgertime) than all the other versions, that being that when dropping the baddies, they reappear as if they were squished, rather than remaining in the same ingredient piece and 'respawn'. It makes scoring and grouping much tougher. i've only managed about 87K on the 5200 BD so far in some brief playing.

gavv

Wow, reversed screens and hidden screens! That was a cool idea!

Maybe I'll "borrow" that idea someday. :ponder: :)

Btw, I haven't bought this yet but it isn't because of lack of interest in the game. I do plan to very shortly. I play most of my games in the fall and expect to play some new homebrews Fall '05.

Edited by Cafeman