IGNORED

Asteroids Rev.1 curiosity any info?

CosmicJoke

Check this out:

aster.jpg

This single piece of paper was with my boxed copy of Asteroids. It is the same size as the Rev. 1 manual that was also in the box. If you can't read my crappy scan, it seems to be kind of "warning" people that the game screen in the Atari 2600 version is similar to but not identical to the Atari arcade Asteroids. It is actually quite funny. Did Atari believe people purchasing this game would expect an exact translation? Or did people complain about the home version and Atari put this note in the box as a sort of disclaimer?

Anyway, at the bottom of the note is marked Rev. 1 so, it must belong with the Rev. 1 manual. Has anybody ever seen this note and can tell me why Atari chose to include this with Asteroids and not with any other arcade versions of 2600 games?

It should also be noted that this "warning" paper is printed in black and white while the manual is printed in color.

Anyone with any thoughts about this?

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: CosmicJoke ]

Yup... I have several of these. I'm not sure why Atari chose to add this "warning" to Asteroids and not other Arcade translations, but I can guess it is because the look of Atari's Asteroids (rastor graphics) is so different from the Arcade version (vector graphics), and they were afraid that people were going to be uneasy about it.

Just a guess, though.

yeah, they did it on Defender too, I kinda like it, at least they're not treating their public like idiots, and they realise that we have actually played the arcade versions.

It'd be nice if latter day conversions adhered to this - Double Dragon for instance.