IGNORED

AtariVox & the 8bit computer

ATARIeric

im reading that the atari 1400XL & the 1450XLD were to come with a voice synthesizer built in "translates text to speech with unlimited vocabulary", can be programmed directly to use phonemes.

will the atarivox be able to do that ? im thinking this might be a mod id like to put inside my 130xe and wire it in that way, will it be possible ?

and what is phonemes :? is that like S.A.M. ?

will the atarivox be able to do that ? im thinking this might be a mod id like to put inside my 130xe and wire it in that way, will it be possible ?

TTS (Text To Speech) could be done on the computer (like SAM) or using a microcontroller.

The CTS256A-AL2 was just such a microcontroller used with the old SPO256-AL2 speech synth. It contained an algorithm for the automatic real-time translation of English ASCII characters into allophone addresses for the SPO256-AL2 chip.

Ken Lemieux (www.speechchips.com) incorporated the same algorithm into his ChipTalk program. He's now working on an embedded version, which will use the extended SpeakJet allophone set.

Put this chip between the AtariVox and the console / computer, and it will translate text words into speech in real time.

TTS (Text To Speech) could be done on the computer (like SAM) or using a microcontroller.

The CTS256A-AL2 was just such a microcontroller used with the old SPO256-AL2 speech synth. It contained an algorithm for the automatic real-time translation of English ASCII characters into allophone addresses for the SPO256-AL2 chip.

Ken Lemieux (www.speechchips.com) incorporated the same algorithm into his ChipTalk program. He's now working on an embedded version, which will use the extended SpeakJet allophone set.

Put this chip between the AtariVox and the console / computer, and it will translate text words into speech in real time.

fabulous :) i cant wait for Ken Lemieux's work to be available, guess im gonna haveta wait :D

BTW: I have both of the above menitioned chips for sale .. NEW .. never used. PM me if interested.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA