IGNORED

Did Somebody Say Update?

StanJr

Well, if they did, it wasn't me. But I do have it on good authority that one could be coming soon...

To that end, Albert is going to allow me to continue to run the hack updates into the ground...errrr....keep updating the hacks section, so I promise I will do all I can to keep better tabs on things. This past summer, I started grad school and there were like 8 million hacks in the span of about 2 months and the whole thing got away from me, and I was not able to put the kind of time into it that I wanted, to get it right. I hope that will not happen again and will do all I can to keep it from happening. (I am still in Grad School, and busy as hell, but I'll do what I can, bear with me)

Furthermore. When the new hack update comes out, if you do NOT see your hack included, please scream at me via PM, tell me I am a rat bastard, and then send the FINAL BIN of your hack so I can correct the error. I am going to be about a month behind in the hacks, so I know I have missed a lot. I DO hope to have an update ready for the end of Feburary as well as the one that should be coming soon.

To help me out with this, I ask, no I beg, PLEASE PM me with the FINAL BIN of your hack whenever you finish one. The tendency here is for a hack BIN to go up in a thread, people play it, recommend things, then the BIN goes back into the shop and gets revised about 9 bazillion times and 9 bazillion BINS are released and I NEVER know if it is done or still WIP. So please help me out by sending me a FINAL BIN when it is FINAL and DONE. That is the 100% fool-proof (me being the fool) way to get your hack into the update. I will still scan the forum and try to keep my records as up to date as possible as well, and given the time, I'll be playing all the hacks and giving feedback as well! I do love the hacking scene!

You may use the rest of this thread to bitch about my previous performance, or make bets on how long it takes me to drop the ball again. Or you can just talk about hacks and stuff in general. I don't mind.

Thanks

Stan :)

Hmmm... To get you further annoyed at me... ;) Is a final public demo considered a final?

For example, let's just say that I make a hack called "Spooky Journey." I release a public demo for people to play and knock their socks off. The public demo works well and can be considered a final version for emulators. Then I decide to release a special version in cart format only, so that people who have the cart can enjoy some extra special features, and it actually works on real hardware.

Would you post the final public demo? :ponder: (Am I dead meat now :? )

not only are you dead meat, you are hereby forbidden from hacking for the rest of your life, good bye.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :D :D

Why oh, why must you make my life so hard? The BIN that is sent to me via PM will be the FINAL BIN in the event such as you suggest. Otherwise, I'll simply pull the most recent BIN from the thread in which the hack is being created/discussed.

A couple of ideas that may or may not make it easier to keep the page updated:

For game hacks that are constantly changing or are not yet officially "final", you could proceed to document the hack but link to the thread instead of posting the bin. This might make it easier for you to keep track of all the various hacks and the page would stay current as any changes or improvements are made to a game.

As hacks are released, you might date them instead of using the "new" checkmark. Then you won't have to go back and remove the checkmark later; The release date will always remains the same.

Thanks for all your work on the page! It makes it a whole lot easier to locate a game than searching the forum for old bins. ;-) :thumbsup:

While I'm rambling I'll address a question you posted in the Boing 2004 thread. I cannot speak for Boing 2004, but Q-boing is totally unofficial unless Neo wants to take it any further.

What we really need is a web-based tool so that hackers can submit their hacks, answer some questions about it, and voila it gets added to a Hacks database.    Then the Hacks webpages are updated automatically.  :ponder:

Good ideas all, a few comments.

I think Robert's idea has merit, but would open the door to anyone being able to edit the database, and while I think most of us can be trusted not to abuse the privilege, it does allow for the possibility. I, personally, would like to assume at least some measure of control as to the content of the hack pages.

The idea of a link to the relevant thread is a good one and I will pass that along to Albert, see what he thinks (he ultimately makes the pages). But I would like to keep WIP BINS out of the database. Just makes things simpler for everyone. The thread link can lead you back to the older BINS if you have interest.

The main thing is that I just need to keep on top of the hacks and not let them overpower me. That and hackers sending me FINAL BINs via PM should take care of all my problems!

I do appreciate the ideas, and I'll run them all by Albert and see what he thinks as well. :)

What we really need is a web-based tool so that hackers can submit their hacks, answer some questions about it, and voila it gets added to a Hacks database.    Then the Hacks webpages are updated automatically.  :ponder:

This would be nice, but it would take a bit of work on my end. And we'd need to be able to validate the hacks so they don't show up right away (otherwise anyone could post garbage to the hacks section, which would be bad). For consistency's sake, though, it's generally better if we take the screenshots, write up the descriptions and populate the other data. But I would like people to be able to submit their hacks in a more "organized" fashion.

..Al

This would be nice, but it would take a bit of work on my end.  And we'd need to be able to validate the hacks so they don't show up right away (otherwise anyone could post garbage to the hacks section, which would be bad).  

..Al

Didn't someone already say this? :ponder:

But yeah, I would like to be able to get things a bit more regimented. A couple of things that could make my life easier: FINAL BINS, a list of things you changed (which is often included in the thread).

The problem with final bins of hacks (well, at least my final bins) is that I'm never sure when to call them final ;) Stepping away from something often leads to problems being rethought - yielding more space/time available to make more additions. So rather than rename them something like "Hack'em - the super deluxe dodecaphonic silver platinum edition mark II" (which is really overkill when all that had been changed is the score font size or something), I just stick with the same names :P

Are they final or WIP? Cosi cosa, I guess.

which is why your hacks keep me up at night, Nukey! :D

I hope that you can someday get those great things (Adventure, Pac...err..Hangly Man, etc.) done, done done, some day. Depsite the revisions and reworks, there has to be a point when you are eventually done. There has to be a goal somewhere out there to reach. please. :)