IGNORED

Homebrews and stuff

Ze_ro

I have to admit that I still have not bought any of the homebrew games... I plan to eventually, but I just haven't gotten around to it. How many of the rest of you have actually bought some of these? Personally, I'd love to get This Planet Sucks and Vault Assault...

--Zero

I have quite a few so far, acquired through direct purchases from the authors or from trading. About half of them are from this year's Classic Gaming Expo, while the other half are games released previously (including some released at previous expos). I haven't yet ordered any from Hozer, but I plan to put in fairly large order soon.

..Al

I have spent well over $800.00 buying homebrew or 'dumped' games from Hozer Vidio.It is well worth the effort to get these 'dumped' games, Quadrun,Halloween or Kabobber,and last but not least Boing!As for the homebrew games these titles are great;Thrust,Oystron,Alfred Challenge,Edtris 2600,SCScide,Venture II.The two newest carts. ,that I have not ordered yet, are Combat II and Gunfight--now lets see who does not deserve an x-mass present so I can purchase these games....

A few of the homebrews I've picked up (from Hozer, natch) that I've enjoyed include:

Thrust - A *very* cool game that takes the limitations of the Atari and pushes them over the edge. Thomas deserves a medal for this bit of magic. (I still stink at it though! Damn cannons...)

Dark Mage - This is a must-have. A text adventure for the 2600! Of course, it is simple - only a handful of rooms to explore. But a strong storyline and interesting puzzles to solve make this more than just an oddity. A cool concept and excellently done.

I must also agree that SCSIcide and Vault Assault are good "zone" games. Play these games and just *try* to blink.

I could go on (Edtris 2600, This Planet Sucks, Elk Attack, Alfred Challenge, etc.), but these are some gems.

If anyone's curious to see what Homebrew games we have in our 2600 Rarity Guide, here are some queries that will give you a better idea:

- All Modern Era Games

- All Self-Published Games

- All Hozer Video Games

- All Ebivision Games

I know we don't have all the Hozer games in our database, we only list unique, non-hack titles (and we probably are missing a few that should be included, if you see any please let us know). We put all the hacks on a separate page.

..Al

Okay, last message for this thread for now, I promise. :-)

I see you have Stell-A-Sketch under Retroware. I'm pretty sure my Okie Dokie -- from Bob, not Hozer -- also says Retroware, so regardless of which category you put them in, they should be together.

Of course, Bob=Retroware, so it's a horse apiece either way.

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

After playing it on emulator, I must get a copy of Qb - brilliant game! (if you ever need a label for that one, I'll be only too happy)

Thanks for that. In fact, there will be a Qb label competition shortly. I need a label for the special edition, and once Manuel (Gunfight fame) thinks its OK to announce our top-secret-plans I'll let everyone know what else is happening, too!

So how about it Manuel... ?

Cheers

A

Hi Andrew!

quote:

Thanks for that. In fact, there will be a Qb label competition shortly. I need a label for the special edition, and once Manuel (Gunfight fame) thinks its OK to announce our top-secret-plans I'll let everyone know what else is happening, too!

So how about it Manuel... ?

Should I announce it right here, or start a new topic?

Or, if you prefer to announce it, go ahead!

Greetings,

Manuel

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

is Thrust as good as the home computer versions? i used to love that game.

I did my very best to match the C64 version as close as possible.

Here are some links to what other people wrote about it:

ClassicGaming.com

Atari HQ

And the binary is public available, so you can test before you buy.

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

By the way, what can y guys tell me about Merlin's Walls? I've seen screenshots of this game, and it looks pretty interesting... but I have my doubts that a game like this could actually be all that great...

Personally, I enjoyed playing it. I purchased it recently from Hozer, and I was quite impressed. The only problem with the game is neck-strain, since it's a sideways game. After a few hours of play, you become good enough not to hit the walls anymore (they're electrified).

AFAIK, I'm the only guy to finish the game completely (Did anyone else get to level 17?). The journey is worth it, but the ending is-- well, not-existant. You just run around in an unbeatable maze. It would've been cool to have something else, but my guess was that it was easier to keep the same engine going instead of writing up new graphics.

I had a lot of fun with it. There are a few disappointments (I personally want more levels!), but for $20, it's worth it. Plus, it's kind of cool to figure out what the other "walls" do in levels 9 and 13. So, there's some thinking involved.

And don't foget the dynamite factor. It's fun to blow away walls!

-John K. Harvey