IGNORED

swap eprom chips?

mike357

I have several games that no longer work, one is pac-man just as an experiment I swapped the eprom with another pacman and it worked, no big deal there. I'm wondering if a rom can be downloaded for repairs on other games. I think it would be legal as long as you are putting the frogger program in a frogger game cartridge. I can get access to an eprom burner and extra eproms (from duplicate games). Has anybody tried this, will it work? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Original Atari games used ROM chips, EPROM's are different. If you want to program EPROM's you will need to use a Hex Inverter on the PCB as well.

If you are interested in programming the original ROM chips you will need to find a old programmer. The chips are not available, and the old ROM chips are OTP (One time programable).

Perhaps others will join in and fill-in any other details.

Does anyone know of a site with FAQ on EPROM burners? Are these things big bucks like in $1,000 range or what range are they. Can one make it out of parts? How hard are the EPROM's to find.

Ok I think that is it for now.

quote:

Originally posted by Mot:

Does anyone know of a site with FAQ on EPROM burners? Are these things big bucks like in $1,000 range or what range are they. Can one make it out of parts? How hard are the EPROM's to find.

Ok I think that is it for now.

You can buy the EPROM programmers for about $150 - $200 on average, they can go up to several thousand for multiple chips at a time.

EPROM's can be purchased from many different places, usually they cost $5 - $6 a piece new. Or you can get them from eBay usually for about $1 - $2 a piece. If you get them from eBay they need to be erased first, you need a EPROM UV eraser costs about $50.

Sorry I don't have any links available currently, if you need them let me know and I'll post them.

Hey Junie thanks for the post. Now at least I know the cost of the thing.

I just wonder if I see (or saw) one at the thrift, if I knew what one looks like.

(Well I did see something at the thrift that had that green chip socket thing on it but it said something about logic probe and was something around $60, so I passed on it not knowing enough about it .)