IGNORED

Best and worst deals

tomyou

I found my copy of Polaris at a Salvation Army store. It was in a wicker basket all by itself...not another cart in the entire store. I took it to the counter and was told it was gonna cost me $.25CDN (~$.16US). Great price! So... I reached into my pocket and...I HAD NO CASH. So... I pulled out my debit card and as soon as the cashier saw it she said, "Oh don't bother with that, you can just have it."

Needless to say I made a $1. donation the next time I was there....

Back when I was in high school, I ended up buying a complete Commodore 128 system from the principal (Including a 1902 RGB monitor, a 1571 disk drive, system disks, and even a giant programming manual that had a $30 price tag on it)... all for $25! (Canadian at that)

I haven't had many bad deals, but I haven't generally been looking for many rare games. I ended up paying about $9.50 for my copy of Dark Chambers, and my Supercharger cost be about $20, but that's not bad at all. There's some stuff on eBay that I've been keeping an eye on that might end up costing me quite a bit though.....

--Zero

The most I've paid, I bought a package deal with a ton of games, one of which was rescue tarra I, I probly paid about $70 over what I would normally pay because that game was in there, but all in all I made out pretty good on the overall deal.

Best buys, I got berenstein bears free, gas hog for $1, the jaguar lot I just got on ebay, columbia home arcade for $25 (STILL want a worth on this!!!), Wing war for $1, couple other things...

I got an Intellivision I and demo cart for $10.00 on ebay. (sold demo cart for $75.00)

I got Chase the Chuckwagon with 120 other games (many rare) and atari 2600 system on eBay for $125.00.

I got 12 Ninja Gaiden and 5 Warbirds sealed Lynx games for $17.00 on eBay (they have/are selling for $25 to $45 each).

I got a genesis with 20 RPG games including Shining Force 1 & 2, Shining in the Darkness, Herzog Zwei, Beyond Oasis, Sword of Vermilion, and Phantasy Star 2-4 for $20.00 on eBay (made a couple hundred on that one).

I bought the stock of a video store for $1400 on eBay. It included 2000 beta movies and 600 NES games. Highlights include a sealed Action 52 and another 60 sealed games. I still have about 150 of the NES games, but I made several thousand dollars on that deal.

I bought 34 sealed copies of Pac Man and 12 sealed copies of Ms Pac Man (all namco) for $10.00 each. I still have 16 Pac Mans left. They are averaging about $30.00 each now.

THE WORST: I paid $800.00 for a "supposedly" new collection of 40 nintendo systems (NES & SNES). They were supposed to have been used once for a nintendo exhibition in Ohio in 1990 and stored ever since... well, they showed up broken, severely abused, and many systems had goodwill price tags on them.

Overall though, I am very successful on eBay.

Best Deal Hey TOMYOU. i can feel your joy i got one too a Crazy Climber in a thrift shop for .80.

also i got a rare 8 bit game Mogul Maniac at a garage sale for .75 with 2 other games and 800 system.

my worst deal.

i paid 3.00 for Hangman silver label.

3.00 for hangman is bad but it being an odd silver label i dont know if its anything or not

I've said it before, I'll say it again, everybody here is killing me when it comes to rare games. However, is "Crazy Climber" THAT rare, if so many people have found it at thrift shops? Everybody is talking about how they find these rare games for cheap, yet they are supposed to be near impossible to find. Of course, I haven't found anything above a 5, so I shouldn't say anything.

Everybody is talking about how they find these rare games for cheap, yet they are supposed to be near impossible to find.  

Everybody will have at least one really rare find..it just doesn't happen all the time. I've never found a CTCW or a Crazy Climber, but I've found 2 copies each of Gas Hog and Bumper Bash.

Come to think of it.. it has been a LOONNGG time since I've found anything rare.

BEST:

Condor Attack-ultravision 9

Xenophobe-atari 7

I want my mommy Zimag 5 (pretty beat up and stained)

Raft Raider- US games 5

$2 each at a garage sale

Worst:

Sold my original turbo grafx 16 w/ 30 games (all complete in boxes) for $55 bucks to buy a genesis

then 3 years later i find the guy i sold it to and ask to buy it back and all he has is the system (scratched up ) and 4 games (no boxes) i payed $5 to get it back

His kid sold all the games to funcoland for games for the genesis

Some good deals I have run across.

Boxed Atari 2600 Wireless Joysticks and 10 boxed games - $7.00

Complete Commodore 64 set-up with disc-drive and games- $5.00

The worst deal ever? I once paid a penny for Skeet Shoot....Damn I wish I had that penny.

Not really 2600 but...

Star Wars cockpit; perfect shape, not even holes where the lock bars would have been (never drilled) for free. Got it home, plugged it in, its been in my gameroom since. Art looks like new.....

Best 2600 deal:

41 loose games for $2.95 at the thrift store. Even came with the container I kept them in until I could catalog them.

Worst Deal:

Full price for a Quadrun. I ate peanut butter that month: $250.00. ick. ak, unk. the fiancee was furious!

Cassidy

Zero if its a great game then it was a good deal for you even if the price was higher than the norm. if it make syou happy its a good deal

Moyconm, heck 5.00 for C64 ick you could hvae had mine man just pay shipping ( thats all that the amount i got asked for.) i broke even didnt make a penny but i got room for all my boxed 5200s.4 units 2 boxed for 35 included 9 controlers and 2 boxed games 35.00.

i did get QBERT QUBES for 25.00 worth of stuff for trade. now that was a kodak moment .

heres a question for you all.we talk about i got this for 25 cents and i got this for this cause its rare. i got ssmufts save the day for 45.00 to me its junk wihtout the casettes. but i got like Qbert Qubes for 25.00 and yet i love the game. maybe we should be talking abotu the best game we bought as best and worst instead of price and rarity. even if someone says my best deal was paying 7.95 for a combat cart if they love it and paid that who are we to say it was a bad deal . ok i analize thigns to death as you were. this was a paid announcement from NIA (National Idiots Association.)

quote:

Originally posted by tomyou:

So what is everyones best and most inexpensive finds. I got a Crazy Climber at a thrift store for .25 that would probably be my best and the most I paid for a game was probably $90 for Bern Bears. What about the rest of you?

Believe it or not, two bests from eBay:

1) Bought lot of 2 nonworking Atari 5200s for $20 (+$25 shipping), scored 3 working Wico sticks and 2 Wico keypads

2) Bought Loopz proto for Lynx for, I dunno, maybe $45, on arrival it turns out the seller threw in another extra, a Marlboro Go

Worst deal, probably a 2600 Jr short rainbow for $35, didn't get around to testing it for weeks, turned out to be DOA.

E

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

I just paid $16 for SpaceMaster X-7 off eBay... but considering it rates a 6, I'm not sure it's that bad a deal. Plus, the game is lots of fun

--Zero

Hey, I think that is an incredible deal!! Actually, that must have come from one helluvaseller!! Probably that seller is freakin awesome!

...and good looking!

...great personal hygeine ...probably!

quote:

Originally posted by sway3:

Probably that seller is freakin awesome!

...and good looking!

...great personal hygeine ...probably!

The strange thing is... I was searching for Secret Quest a while back, and hit upon your auction... so I checked out your other auctions, and you literally had about 3/4 of the games I had been looking for! Even the rare ones like SpaceMaster X7 and Star Gunner. I was quite happy to say the least. Unfortunately, some of the auctions went a little too rich for my blood (I'm still surprised London Blitz made it to $36... I mean, it's a good game and all, but...) so I'll have to try for the next Star Gunner and Star Wars: Arcade Game... oh well, at least that scored a bunch of games off my list

--Zero