IGNORED

Arkanoid on Atari 8-bit?

jnice

Sorry for disturbing the Christmas-peace, but Arkanoid on the A8 is pure crap.

-the ball is a "cross"

-simple spread graphics with 32 bytes only screen width.

-ball action/reaction is not correct

-not all Ball-goodies are available ( as triple ball)

There are several really good Breakout clones available on the A8, but "Arkanoid" isn't one of them.

i found it quite good... do not know why... but played it for hours... ;)

Same here. To me a good game is one that catches my interest and keeps me playing for hours. ARKANOID did that.

BTW: Arkanoid was converted to cartridge by www.atarisales.com

The A8 version seems to be a C64 conversion, without the features C64 is providing ... But that's not the problem.

The problems are in the game rules, that are not fully adapted from the original. It' like a car without a steering wheel. You can drive the car as long as the street goes straight ahead. It can look great, it can run fast... until the next curve...

:ponder:

Actually, there was Arkanoid 1, 2 and 3 made for the atari 8-bit, I have them all, 2 and 3 are a bit beter graphically, but I was impressed by all of them. I've also found Many, many good clones of the game online, most of them very good. None of the versions was ever published in the US back in the day, so I never knew they existed until a few years ago when I got my SIO2PC cable and started hitting the 8-bit download sites, then I found hundreds and hundreds of great games for the 8-bit that I neer knew about back in the day becuase the 8-bit in the US didn't get the same support that it did in Europe.

it's true Arkanoid was never officially released (in the US at least) for the

8bit, but I had it back in the day. it made the rounds on the pirate bbs's.

I rem liking it quite a bit, as far as I can remember I used the joystick to

play it. I dont think it worked with paddles (but I could be wrong). I rem

thinking it was quite good, but at the time there was not much

competition. I dont think it was a c64 port, since it was very colorful, but

I could be wrong about that too.

The only official release of Arkanoid on the A8 is by Imagine in the UK. All the other versions are new levels designed by demo groups or crackers. Some are made with a public domain program which was posted here not too long ago, either Arkanoid Editor or Arkanoid Construction Set, can't remember...

The version on the A8 is not bad at all: nice colors, good playability, paddle support. It's a shame the ball isn't round at all and it's sometimes hard to see it against some of the backdrops. The main problem is that the game is unwinnable because you have to hit the final boss about 700 times while avoiding the things he throws at you!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com