IGNORED

Will the Flashback go...

Atari Charles

I've also noticed that people will allow their personal opinions to alter the facts. As much as there may be anti-Flashback folks who will rail against it, there will always be any number of "Atari-Fans" who, beyond their own common sense, will tout the Flashback as a Marvel worthy of praise, and declare false and unsubstantiated sales figures for a toy that was more of an afterthought than a quality product worthy of any minor notice.

They seem to do this simply because some conglomerate corporation bought the rights to the Corporate name of their Childhood favorite "ATARI" and haphazardly slapped a counterfeit looking Atari Logo sticker on the front of a box that houses *shudders* Nintendo equipment.

But we are all stuck in the catch 22 here. The question is:

Do you support the Flashback, in hopes that Infocrimes will eventually release a "real" atari product in the future (knowing full well that they most likely will NOT do this)

or,

Do we complain about the accuracy and quality of the Flashback, in hopes they will get it right the next time? (knowing that most likely any complaints will negate any possibility of a "next time".)

Either way - I think we're all gonna get porked.

Come back June 05 to discuss your above statement again.

Curt

How about you stop playing "secret squirrel" and discuss it now?

What is the significance or June 05? What is Infogrimes going to release?

Get off his back. Yes, he's acting like a cheerleader for Infogrames, but his optimism is a lot more pleasant than the hatred so many of us are spewing towards the company.

As Curt has mentioned before, they're going to try again with real hardware, which means faithful translations. He's already leaking much more than the company itself would, especially considering there probably isn't a final product spec yet with the included ROMs. There's no point in getting worked up over something that could change significantly in the next 6 months.

Many people have been talking about a saturated marketplace for this kind of thing, and if the Flashback is selling well, there could be fewer people who will want a second mini-console, even if it's done right. All I know is that I would dig something like this, especially if it has either

(a) LOTS of games (think 50+, like Activision Anthology)

or

(b) a way to swap out ROMs I own (cartridge port, audio in for Supercharger-type loading, flash memory)

The Atari Anthology for XBOX will be tough to beat, but the right combination of hardware and software could do it. Good luck to 'Grames, don't let us down again.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a generalization which is not entirely true.

It makes it that much harder for people who were not around in the 80s to know "how it really was" so to speak.

People who missed out on the first wave of video games don't care to play those old games. The recent issue of EGM proves that. They get a bunch of kids together and they all pretty much hated the Atari stuff.

If a youngster has any real interest in older video games, he/she will know enough to get a real system. So, it doesn't really matter if these joystick thingies are not 100% accurate conversions. The only ones who care is the relatively small group of die-hard gamers like us.

And apparently all of them are being played by 30 something adults because apparently kids hate the classics, right?

Total sales with the rainchecks and the additional PAL/Secam units shipping into Europe will exceed 1.4 million total.    The Jakks 10 in 1 since 2002 has sold worldwide a total of over 3 million units...   So for the Flashback, not too shabby for just coming out of the gate.

I can't wait for the next new Atari hardware products in 05' !!! :-)

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the Flashback from a gamer or price perspective since Atari seemed to rush it to market (I think I may have called it "ET 2004" in an earlier thread) but I certainly hope Atari is satisfied with it and will pursue bigger (and better!!!) classic gaming plans in the future! I don't know how much longer this recycled plug and play fad will last, so let's hope (as Curt alluded) Atari moves forward quickly!

But hey - Infogrames Atari at least seems to be moving forward with the Atari name far more than anybody since Tramiel. Even given some of our reservations about Info-Atari, isn't this reason to be excited???

Cheers!

Joey

btw-

I didn't see it at all in Wal-Mart over the holidays but stumbled across it in eb Games for sixty bucks (CDN - that's 50 US) after boxing day. Too much for cheap me! And yes - the conversions, in general, SUCK!

yeah it may not be the greatest repro of original games, but it's great to break out when my friends and i are drinking. at that point, it's still fun, and we are just out to have some fun. i got mine for christmas, so it's not like i feel cheated. way easier than hooking up a 20 year old system and hoping nobody breaks something that's hard to replace!

barrett