CosmicJoke

I have a few grey Atari boxes that are not international. These are:

year title

1988 Canyon Bomber

1988 Basketball

1986 Fun With Numbers

1986 Game of Concetration

1986 CodeBreaker

These are grey boxes not the common silver type. What is the story on these? Did Atari release its entire pre1988 catalog in grey boxes also? I was thinking about collecting these boxes since no one else seems to.

So, if any one knows how many grey box titles were released(or any info at all) please post.

Does AtariAge plan on including scans of these grey boxes in its extensive archive? I would be willing to send scans of the ones I have to AtariAge if needed. Although, They are rather ugly.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: CosmicJoke ]

I do not know for sure, but I would guess it was done to save money. After the crash, they probably had stockpiles of these games they wanted to unload (and not in a landfill), so in order to keep the costs low on production, they simply printed without color. I have several as well. I know on some of the game labels, they have various mistkaes, too. The demise of the 2600 seemed to be slow and painful; for consumers and producers. I just want to know how do you go from 415 million profits in 78 to bankrupt in 10 years? Wierd.

Cassidy

These are pre-crash boxes in the sense that they are Atari Inc. boxes. I remember seeing these in 1984 or so, before the Tramiels took over.

I think as Atari Inc. was losing money bigtime, this was one of their cost-cutting measures, probably one of the only ones they implemented before they were gone.

quote:

Originally posted by CosmicJoke:

Does AtariAge plan on including scans of these grey boxes in its extensive archive? I would be willing to send scans of the ones I have to AtariAge if needed. Although, They are rather ugly.

We already do have support for multiple Box Styles in the database, but this is a neglected area of the site that we have not yet taken the time to flesh out. You can take a look here to see what I'm talking about. When finished, it'll be similar to the Label Guide pages for each system.

So we'd love to get high-resolutoin scans of those boxes (front and back) if you can send them to us. Thanks!

..Al