IGNORED

Atari 5200 2-Port VS 4-Port

82-T/A

Hey guys,

I'm kind of a half-assed Atari collector. I've got a "decent" collection I guess... but it probably is no where near what most of you on here have.

I have two questions:

1 - What is the difference between the 2-port and the 4-port. I mean, aside from the obvious, are there any other differences? I almost never play them, and they're packed away in the back of my closet, I seem to remember that the power hook-up and stuff is also totally different.

2 - Which one is the more rare of the two? I've actually been pretty lucky, and I have both in their original boxes.

Thanks,

As for which is rarer, pretty sure that would be the four port model, though from what I've seen it's not like one's common and the other's really difficult to find. The four port seems to just be a little less common than the two port.

Personally I'd say the two port's more desirable despite being a bit more common, because it's got a more standard power supply setup and it'll work with the system changer without modifications.

As for which is rarer, pretty sure that would be the four port model, though from what I've seen it's not like one's common and the other's really difficult to find.  The four port seems to just be a little less common than the two port.

Personally I'd say the two port's more desirable despite being a bit more common, because it's got a more standard power supply setup and it'll work with the system changer without modifications.

And I say a 4-port's more desirable because it has an automatic switchbox and less wires coming out of it.

The 2600 adapter WOULD be an issue if it weren't for the fact that 2600s are everywhere.

I think this forum needs a sticky about the differences between the two

variants. Try the FAQ ;) or a forum search, the question is only

asked about every 2-3 weeks! :roll:

Twenty lashes for asking a question requiring human interraction on an internet message board for you 82-ta

Now go to your room and don't come out until you think long and hard about why it's wrong to post a question here!

(and when you've figured it out let me know, k?)

And I say a 4-port's more desirable because it has an automatic switchbox and less wires coming out of it.

Yeah, but you don't need a switchbox if you have a two port...just an RCA to coax connector.

Of course, that assumes you're dedicating a TV to your 5200.

I'm capped on RF in as it is right now. 5200 switchbox, with a RCA-coax adapter on the antenna in, a RCA Y-adapter on that, and my 2600 and Genesis hading into the Y.

If I get anything else I need RF for, I'll likely have to pull the Genny swtichbox back out.

Well, I like my two port better. To me the power supply is cumbersome with the 4 port. But that's just me. There are two advantages to a four port.

1) Four people can play at once, but how often will you have 4 people who want to play together?

2) How many games really support 4 players?

I don't have much spare cash to spend on Atari collecting, so the fact that I was able to collect the 2port, 4port, and the 2600 adapter fairly cheaply just goes to show that none of them are all that rare.

Aaron

Why wouldn't you just use a four way cable splitter? All you do is hook up the RCA/Coax adaptors to the "out" ports and the splitter to the TV. They work both ways, and you don't need to fiddle with anything either to change consoles...this is the set up I have and it works nicely...

Well, I like my two port better. To me the power supply is cumbersome with the 4 port. But that's just me.

I admit, I'm kind of curious how it's cumbersome.

Why wouldn't you just use a four way cable splitter? All you do is hook up the RCA/Coax adaptors to the "out" ports and the splitter to the TV. They work both ways, and you don't need to fiddle with anything either to change consoles...this is the set up I have and it works nicely...

Bah.

:sad:

Ok, that was a bit rude of me...

ok, I just don't like it... how's that for an explanation..

Sorry, I wish we could edit our posts... but anyway.

I should say, that the cable runing between my four port and the power supply/tv box is a bit stiff. Which makes it difficult to place the box anywhere convenient as the stiff cord tends to pull it on to the floor.

:sad:  

Ok, that was a bit rude of me...

ok, I just don't like it... how's that for an explanation..

Sorry, I wish we could edit our posts... but anyway.

No prob. I've done it before.

I should say, that the cable runing between my four port and the power supply/tv box is a bit stiff. Which makes it difficult to place the box anywhere convenient as the stiff cord tends to pull it on to the floor.
Ah.

Mine hasn't given me much trouble, though it IS pretty stiff. I guess I can see where it'd be a problem.