IGNORED

Yet another reason I will stick with Amiga....

Dauber

Okay...so I've been an Amiga user since early 1993, when I upgraded from a Commodore 64...I'm now on my third Amiga, and because of my devotion to the platform and my love for the sense-making OS that Apple and Microsoft have still yet to achieve, I just ordered the new Amiga, the AmigaOne. And something that I discovered earlier today made me realize exactly why I stick with Amiga.

I'm posting something to Usenet, and I need to use an accent grave and an accent circonflex, but I don't remember the proper keystrokes. No problem, I'll just open up GoldEd, the primo text editor for the Amiga. I'll just do an "insert-character" into an empty GoldEd document and copy'n'paste into the newsreader. Well...here's the little popup screen I got:

golded-haha.jpg

Look closely at the fourth row of characters. (I asked around; apparently I'm the only one who sees this...and apparently it also depends on the font settings; but I use the default fonts!)

THAT'S why I stick to Amiga!

Oh, btw...that little Minesweeper game off to the side -- that's actually part of the text editor; I'm NOT kidding!

Okay...so I've been an Amiga user since early 1993, when I upgraded from a Commodore 64...I'm now on my third Amiga, and because of my devotion to the platform and my love for the sense-making OS that Apple and Microsoft have still yet to achieve, I just ordered the new Amiga, the AmigaOne. And something that I discovered earlier today made me realize exactly why I stick with Amiga.

I beg to differ with regards to OS X, which is a very nice platform. :)

Look closely at the fourth row of characters. (I asked around; apparently I'm the only one who sees this...and apparently it also depends on the font settings; but I use the default fonts!)

That's pretty amusing. :) For those looking, it's the fifth row in the window that has the ASCII characters.

..Al

You mean where it says EA / A Fuck? Couldn't have said it better myself.

Seriously, though, what's the processor in this new Amiga system, anyway? Is it still 68000 based, or have they moved on to something new?

Also, I must admit that I'm not terribly impressed with the GUI... it looks like the creators of this operating system are still stuck back in the Windows 95 days. At the same time, I've got to admit that it's a vast improvement over Amiga's previous GUI, Workbench. I still have yet to wash the trauma from my eyes after seeing its hideous blue and orange color scheme.

JR

I was wondering if the Amiga had moved to the Power PC chip too. And what OS is that? It seems that with the rights to Amiga passing from company to company has made the Amiga computer platform lose all focus. There's a few operating systems for the Amiga, none of which I know very much about. And there's 680X0 processor upgrades and Power PC upgrades. And now, there's a new Amiga computer, but it doesn't impress me in the way the original Amiga 1000 did back in the late '80s. I used my Amiga until the mid-'90s, but had to give up and move on to something more modern.

I too love the Amiga platform, but in my mind it is dead. To me the new Amiga One doesnt have the slightest relation to the original Amiga which was created by Jay Miner (among others). Is it even compatible with previous Amiga software? I got loads of mileage out of my Amiga 500. I was using it to surf the web up until '98.

Seriously, though, what's the processor in this new Amiga system, anyway?  Is it still 68000 based, or have they moved on to something new?

Yeah...as far as I know, the last 680x0 that the Amiga ever officially supported was 68040; I don't even think that the 68060 was supported officially with OS 3.5 or OS 3.9 that came out a few years ago...

Also, I must admit that I'm not terribly impressed with the GUI... it looks like the creators of this operating system are still stuck back in the Windows 95 days.  At the same time, I've got to admit that it's a vast improvement over Amiga's previous GUI, Workbench.

Well...it's STILL Workbench, just a much newer version. The AmigaOne nowadays ships with an incomplete pre-release version of OS 4.0. (I'm having Linux preinstalled on mine, just to be safe. :) )

I still have yet to wash the trauma from my eyes after seeing its hideous blue and orange color scheme.

Heh...tell me about it! (You could have changed the colors, y'know!) Thankfully the current versions of the OS can run with TrueColor and HiColor thanks to graphics cards...you can actually have 24-bit backdrops now...

Thankfully when I got into the Amiga in 1993 they had long abandoned the blue/orange look...

Anyhoo...to answer other posts...the processor in the new Amiga is an underclocked G3 or G4. It's backward-compatible with most older Amiga software thanks to emulation, pretty much like the PowerMacs do...the emulation in the pre-release emulates a 68020. Hardware, however, that's another story, thanks to the old Zorro slots...the new Amiga has PCI. It's kind of a downer because I doubt I'll ever find a PCI sound card as good as the Prelude...