IGNORED

giant Thrift haul today!

Atari-Jess

Well while at school my mom went thrifting for me. she came back with....

90+ 2600 games everyone with a manual

4 original atari joysticks

3 third party sticks

1 wico "the boss" stick

Cartridge holders (i think official atari ones)

and an Atari 4 switch,

guess how much?

20 bucks.

(but i have to wait till christmas to play them. not a bad haul eh?)

BTW this was the same place where i found my Atari ST. (this must be some sort of Atari Depo thrift... cause Atari isn't exactly insanely common in toronto)

I wouldn't bother.. Toronto's pretty dry. The best city I've seen for thrifting is Kingston.. I've found all sorts of stuff there.. tho I've found Ottawa to be pretty good for NES stuff. I've never found anything in Hamilton, despite repeated trips there.

I also *never* find anything in Western NY state (Buffalo, Rochester, etc.) I have no idea how Rhindle put together such a large collection.

quote:

Originally posted by King_Asmo:

I also *never* find anything in Western NY state (Buffalo, Rochester, etc.) I have no idea how Rhindle put together such a large collection.

Well, now that you mention it...

I will be selling at a toy/collectible show this coming Sunday. (No, this isn't a shameless plug, it's important to the story.)

When the guy running it asked me what kind of stuff I'd be selling, I said I had all sorts of things, but I'd be focusing on video games. He was very happy to hear that because not many of the vendors at this show sell video games. So he asked what kind I had. I said mainly Atari games. He asked if I had systems and I said what I usually say when asked this question: "Sure, I've got lots."

Well, what do you know, I was testing out all of my available systems last weekend and I only had two Atari 2600s! And one of them didn't work! As I thought about it, I seem to have sold off most of my inventory! Talk about good news/bad news.

Now, I have plenty of other systems (3 NESs, 4 Genesis(es?), a Master System, INTV, etc.) but I wanted 2600s to go with the games.

So I decided to hit every thrift in the Rochester area by Saturday and see if I could stock up. Well, I went to one yesterday and got a 2600 w/ 6 boxed games for $6.99 and today I found a 2600jr with 11 loose games for $3.99.

I hope the rest of the week goes this well.

You see, King_Asmo, they're out there.

Seek, and ye shall find...

quote:

Originally posted by King_Asmo:

I must be going to the wrong thrifts, Rhindle, coz I have yet to find a single 2600 game there.

I'll admit I had been in a terrible 2600 drought up until yesterday. Most finds had been Genesis, NES, that sort of thing, a cart here, a system there, if anything at all.

I just think it's wild that the drought should end just when I needed it to.

man i wish i could find some cool stuff while thrift shopping there i cant really find much around here the idea of people saleign atari stuff or even worse owning it is laughed at around here so its hard to find anything b/c most people have already disposed of their stuff however my grandfather owns a junkstore so occasionaly he gets a good find and i reap the benifits and get some cool free stuff.

i guess maybe when i get a car and its easier for me to get around i will find more stuff my mom doesnt support my obsession with video games so shes relunctant to take me to get stuff

The thrift store had:

2 atari games, star raiders and yars revenge ($1 each).

2 sega cd sports games ($5 each).

2 nes consoles ($8 & $6).

1 snes console ($12).

4 sega genesis sports games ($3 each).

Yuck! Since they have some stuff, but nothing worthy, I think some crafty person beat me to it.

Wow! Nice haul! Which thrift store did you get all that from. I've never seen that much at one thrift store, period, and I've been thrifting for about 5 years.

Yeah, the Value Villages are pretty bare. A week and a half ago, I went to the one on Queen St. E in Leslieville (suburb of Toronto for all you non-Canucks), and found an NES and a couple fairly common games.

I saw a Master System a few weeks ago at the Value Village just north of the Beaches. I wonder if that's the one you went to.

My girlfriend is going hunting for me tonight.. I hope she picks up something!

Just a funny one...

Yesterday on my way to grad school (after teaching all day, ick) I stopped off at a Godwill up the road to see what was new and I got the "gamedar" signal (you know, the one that says 'go here' even if its the kitchen section?). Sure enough, I look over and see a set of paddles, yeah! 4 bucks is steep imho, but why not? Looking around some more, found a pair of wierd tall controllers made by Discwasher. Long sticks all black with orange buttons at the top. Then I see a stubby controller with a metal base. By now, I am sure I will find the system, no one just gives these away. Keep looking and found a Wico Red Bat stick. That is my stick of choice, and I still use my childhood ones to spank all my friends. It all took place in about 3 minutes, and I spent the next 20 looking for the illusive system. Unfortunately, I did not find one, just a bag of controls that I talked the manager down to 10 bucks for all of them. Not a bad week.

Boxed Pong Sports, 5200 Blueprint, Breakout and Indy 500, loose ESB (found Sunday across town), bag of controls and all for under 20 bucks. Not a bad week. Wish they were all like this.

Was late to class, but smiled.

Cassidy

I remember going to a Value Village in Vancouver and finding about 50 loose 2600 and Intellivision games. I only bought a couple of the rarer ones because I was on holidays and didn't feel like adding more weight to my already heavy suitcases.

But on the subject of Value Village - I have heard that they are not a genuine charity.

The story I heard is that they give just enough of their profits to charity so that they can legally be called a charity (10% or some such small amount).

They can then put up collection bins all over the place. Their bins don't have Value Village on them though - instead they say "Breast Cancer relief" or "sudden infant death syndrome prevention" etc.

As long as they give some part of the 10% of their profits goes towards breast cancer relief or sudden infant death syndrome prevention then they can get away with this.

It seems to me that this is really f***ed up. People who donate to them think that the money will be going to the charity mentioned on the donation bin but instead 90% gets turned into profits for the owners.

Now I may be wrong here but that's how I heard they operate in Canada and I have also heard that that's how our Australian version of value village "Savers" works.

So i say boycot value village!!!!!!

....or at least don't feel guilty about swapping the price tags.

-mitchell-

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

I hope when I go on Thursday I can find more than the usual one game

When I went yesterday I found zero Atari games. I did manage to find a set of Atari paddles for $2.00, 5 different Genesis games in their hard plastic boxes with manuals for $0.25 each. Some other odds and ends, 3 Basic books, 1 DOS book, 2 PC Joysticks.

Still looking for more than just one Atari item whenever I go, 5 thrift stores and only one set of Atari paddles.

The thing about Value Village is *partly* true. Here's my understanding of how it works:

Usually a charity will be in charge of picking up the actual items. In my town, it's the Diabetes Association. They come to every house in the city twice a year (they call a week or two before they're supposed to arrive) and pick up bags of items that are left out for them. The Diabetes association, after collecting all the items, sells them to Value Village, which then sorts all the goods, and then sells them for a mark-up. It sounds bad, because, yes, technically the charity isn't getting 100% of the profit, but in many cases, the charity earns *more* money than they would have if they used the traditional Goodwill system. This is because by selling all the stuff to Value Village, they don't have to spend any time/money sorting the stuff out, they don't have to pay rent or people to work the cash registers, and most importantly, they don't have to pay to store all the stuff.

I don't think the system is any worse/better than how Goodwill and Sally Ann work.. it's just different.

Just got back from the Goodwill today.. I didn't find any classic video game stuff, but I did pick up an old Mac SE/30 for 5 bucks. I know nothing about Macs, but this seems like a neat little machine. It's got a 120 Meg HD installed in it too. Anyone have any good resources for this?