IGNORED

Whats the score? - I challenge you to beat mine....

Fretwobbler

Why is it that video game writers these days never include a score, in fact the entire concept of score in videogames seems to have dissapeared.

I struggle to think of an Atari game that didn't kept you playing late into the night 'cause you wanted to beat your high score, or beat your mates high score.

I also struggle to think of a modern game from PSone era onwards that uses a score?

All you get now are crappy sequences of FMV that bear little relevance to the game and just slow things down.

If anyone has a game on PS2 that uses a score please tell me so I can buy it 'cause not one of my 7 titles does, the nearest I've got to having a score is being 71.4% complete on GT3.

Still I suppose in the old days you didnt have the oppurtunity to crawl below an overhanging rock and stare at Lara Crofts nicer bits for hours on end

Adam

No doubt! I think the score is one of the main reasons Atari games never get old and never lose their charm. After you beat Tomb Raider (and gotten all the secrets), that's pretty much it. No real reason to ever play it again (except for the aforementioned jumblies). For the VCS this is not the case. I can play Ms. Pac-man every day for a year and still have a reason to play it again, mainly because I cannot beat my own measly high score.

Modern games lack this element and it is hard to find a game with really high replay value. The only PSone games I have with score is Castlevania and Castlevania Chronicles (and guess what, they are two of my favs...)

Scorekeeper Stan

Also, have you been noticing that a lot less people play video games nowadays? I read in a book that there was a time where everybody played video games. Now, it seems like only the real geeks play video games (me included) because they are no longer simple like they used to be! It used to take five minutes tops to get into the swing of a game. Now, it can take at least twenty minutes to get the hang of the game (can anyone say Armored Core 2?) Man, if simple games like that were still popular today, I would be one of the most popular kids in school, due to my video game excellency. I could get a girlfriend playing Pong!

Originally posted by Nateo -

Also, have you been noticing that a lot less people play video games nowadays?  

Its quite the reverse in my neck of the woods, Video Games are much bigger than movies now over here, especially in the "wads of spare cash" 18-30 year old male market. I recall not more than 3/4 years ago myself and my friends were classed as nerds, geeks etc because we had a healthy doom addiction. But now, differant story, nobody cares about ET being re-released over here, or barely any other new film release (except anything concerning the clone wars of course), all that seems to matter is PS2/Dreamcast/gamecube, xbox when we finally get it. Video Games are the in thing, big time. And Gameboy Advance is just going to hype things even further over here.

Right now video games seems like a nice place to be at the moment - sales in excess of $25billion last year, thats a whopping industry, far to big to be something that people dont play anymore. I reckon it will be less than ten years before it (internationally) overtakes Hollywood, if it hasn't allready, and looking at titles like PS2 GT3 it appears we are just around the corner from broadcast quality games which can only accelerate things even further.

Adam

Originally Pested by Joel D. Park -

All the Civilization games (By Sid Meier) include a score

~Hav you got Civ 3, thats bloody hard to get a score (and maintain it) of over 1000, i've only managed it on Warlord and as for Diety......dont make me laugh. Theres a big bunch of programmers hiding in an office somewhere in Baltimore laughing at the whole world right now, knowing that they have just unleashed the impossible. Or is it just me who's crap at the game?

Adam

Your best bet for a "scoring" game nowadays are puzzle fighter, tetris-style games, etc.

SSX has score. Most fighting games Either have a score or a time to beat. Sports games technically do, but that's obviously not the same The few "shooters" that are left of course, einhander and such.