IGNORED

What lengths will you go to?

weaselbrains

I'm just wondering to what lengths people here have gone to get Atari games.

For instance, have you placed an ad in your local newspaper saying 'Atari games wanted'?

Have you emailed everybody at work asking for their old games?

Maybe you have found a list of old Atari employees and tried to contact them - or broken into their houses while they were out of town and searched through their basements.....well hopefully nobody has done this but you get what I'm asking here.

I once put an ad in a free online classified service once saying 'atari or other old video games wanted' (I got no response), and I considered email everybody where I currently work - but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

-mitchell-

(Secret Insider Tricks)

As for home stuff,

I have run an ad in the county teacher newsletter. I figured the age of teachers makes them candidates for having kids of the 80's and therefore junk in the attic.

For full size games, I have driven all night, picked up games, driven all night home and unloaded after 40 hours without sleep. I call that auction in NC. Thats about every two months. And then people wonder why I can't "give em a break on the price". Figure in what I make an hour teaching, and that game should be 1800 bucks!!!

If I knew how to reach any Atari guys, you know I would hit them up for their goodies. I am geographically challenged as far as Silicon Valley goes, so that is most likely a long shot at best.

Does spending rent money on ebay count?

Cassidy

A good friend of mine and I have a tradition we like to call "The Atari Safari" ...

Basically, its a week-long roadtrip with the sole purpose of hitting EVERY thrift store, flea market, junk shop, etc in an attempt to find Atari games.

We've done 2 so far, and both have been a blast.

The first (Atari Safari I) was a 5-state rampage throughout the upper midwest. Major locations were (starting from Minneapolis) Chicago, The Quad-city area, Iowa city, etc, etc.

The second was far more successful (The Atari Safari II: The Quest for Quintana Roo). It began with a straight, non-stop 24-hour long drive from Minneapolis to South Carolina through mountains in a rain storm. That's how dedicated we are to the Safari -- no stops mean more time to thrift at the designated location! When there, we spend 7 days hitting thrifts and fleas in North and South Carolina. I probably netted 50 new games in that trip alone.

Another is planned for sometime hopefully in the near future. We haven't decided exactly where to go on this trip, but possabilities at this point include somewhere in western Canada, The American southwest, England, or Germany.

Watch out for us -- we'll be the people with the sparkling silver Atari Fuji symbol on the doors of out car! (Yes, we had special car magnets made for the trips too... not to mention "Atari Safari" uniforms including baseball hats and tshirts... what geeks!)

2 stories.

1 finding crazy climber at a thrift shop i knocked a biker dude to get to it ( hey he was grabbing for it ) and slammed into him knocking him over and gasping my crazy climber then made a bline to the cashier.

2. during my 3 minute history report on atari ( which ran 69 minutes ) i sat back down collecting all 6 of my atari commons brought in. one of my college classmates said i can have all his atari items for free. like systemm and boxes load of games.

SCORE DOUBLE SCORE

Well just recently i crawled all over the VERY dirty floor of a value village looking for an Atari Lynx that wasn't there for about an hour and a half. I was the joke of every one in the store. It really hurt my feelings not to end up finding it and only 4 games and a small "lynx skin" case. *sigh*