IGNORED

Interview with Dennis Caswell

Mayhem

His name might not ring immediate bells, but his games will. On top of creating 3 games for Starpath (Phaser Patrol, Mindmaster, Party Mix) he was also responsible for one of the greatest games ever: C64 Impossible Mission. And I happen to be able to speak to him about his career. So saddle over to http://www.mayhem64.co.uk and have a read (yes, click the Interviews link on the left hand side :D ).

Stay awhile. Stay forever! Impossible Mission was one of the best games for the C64. Did he also work on Impossible Mission II?!

I don't know why the "demo" scene never caught on with PC's. I remember back in the day all those "demo makers" where you could make scrolling text come across the screen. People would crack games and pop a demo on the front. I used to love those. Music, scrolling words, greets, other stuff. I used to love downloading demos and hex editing them for use on local BBS'es.

I don't know why the "demo" scene never caught on with PC's.

Probably due to the same reason I switched back to programming the 2600: No real challenge anymore.

And the hardware has become so powerful and complex (and developing so fast), that a small group or a single person can not utilize it anymore.

Hi there!

I don't know why the "demo" scene never caught on with PC's.

Probably due to the same reason I switched back to programming the 2600: No real challenge anymore.

Actually the PC demo scene is amazingly active. Much more than the scene of 2600 programmers for example. I'm totally blown away what those guys do today with "generating" algorithms, That construct complex music and grafics out of a handfull bytes. Sort of like very advanced "fractals" I think.

For example, here's a few pictures of the Ego-Shooter "KKrieger", done in 96KB (That's just 3 times the size of "Fatal Run"!):

full1.jpg

full2.jpg

full3.jpg

full4.jpg

full5.jpg

Greetings,

Manuel

yes, PC demo scene is alive, though not too exciting at the moment. groups like Farbrausch and Conspiracy who do cool 64k intros are an exception. i did some PC stuff too, but I haven't done anything since 2001, since i got bored with modern PCs.