IGNORED

WINGS For Atari 2600 Released!

digitalpress

Wow, that's pretty cool!  I didn't know there was a proto floating around out there, and yet here's two different revisions.  Very nice.  The commercial's particularly cool - did that ever air?

None of us had ever seen the commercial before we posted it, and it came off of a master tape of four CBS commercials - the Mountain King commercial was certainly replaced by the one with a human being (instead of the cartoon character seen in the version we've got online) to most of our recollections. Still, I'd be interested to hear if someone had seen that Wings commercial before.

None of us had ever seen the commercial before we posted it, and it came off of a master tape of four CBS commercials - the Mountain King commercial was certainly replaced by the one with a human being (instead of the cartoon character seen in the version we've got online) to most of our recollections. Still, I'd be interested to hear if someone had seen that Wings commercial before.

The animated one plays more like a storyboard concept reel -- I have a bunch of those for various Atari titles that eventually became live-action ads. I have my doubts about the Wings ad airing; it mentions that it's available for 2600, and soon for other systems, and since it was never released, the ad, which was probably made in anticipation of its release, probably got shelved along with the game.

The PAL one doesn't seem to start with sound..but when I press the F6 key during the game in Z26...the sound suddenly comes alive.

Also, pressing the "D" key on my keyboard in z26 will cause the cross-hair to turn into a big blue open box? What key on the keyboad does the "D" key emulate anyway for the 2600? I literally pressed it by accident.

Otherwise it is very difficult to play in emulation. Really need the dual stick setup for this one. Also I believe F4 in z26 causes the plane to sorta either slow down, or engages what could best be called as an autopilot of some sort? Anyone else noticed any of this and have any insight?

he PAL one doesn't seem to start with sound..but when I press the F6 key during the game in Z26...the sound suddenly comes alive.

Yes the PAL one starts with sound off. The difficulty switches turn it back on. I should make a note of that in my review.

Also, pressing the "D" key on my keyboard in z26 will cause the cross-hair to turn into a big blue open box? What key on the keyboad does the "D" key emulate anyway for the 2600? I literally pressed it by accident.

"D" is down on the right stick. This swtiches weapons from guns to missiles. The big box is the missile target system. Pushing up (or "E") will fire your selected weapon.

Otherwise it is very difficult to play in emulation. Really need the dual stick setup for this one. Also I believe F4 in z26 causes the plane to sorta either slow down, or engages what could best be called as an autopilot of some sort? Anyone else noticed any of this and have any insight?

I didn't notice this, but I'll look into it. Was this on the PAL or NTSC proto?

Tempest

Has anyone really gotten into this game yet? I flew around for awhile and only got shot at a few times. Mostly I just flew around endlessly looking for ANYTHING. I found it really boring. Anyone else have better luck? I was expecting much more fighting or at least some kind of action.

Tempest