IGNORED

Underrated Games

bergbros

I define an underated game as one that is really good but did not have the hype or the name recognition of other games. Using this criteria, I believe Thunderground by Sega has to be considered underated. It actually comes from an arcade game, but it had great strategy elements and it got really harder the more you got into it. It came from a mediocre game manufacturer, Sega, whose only other good game was Star Trek.

Another underated game although not as good is Infiltrate by Apollo Games. Apollo was an absolutely horrible game maker with the worst game of all time, Skeet Shoot, however Infiltrate was a nice little game, a combination of Berzerk and Donkey Kong that got incredibly hard pretty fast.

Any other suggestions?

I've got to go with another Sega game for most underated...

TAPPER!!!

This is probably my favorite Atari 2600 game of all-time. Unfortunately, since it's pretty hard to find, many people haven't had a chance to play this classic.

I like this game so much that I bought a Midway compliation cart for N64 to get a version close to the arcade. Unfortunately, the response is pretty horrid, so I just stick to the Atari version to get my fix.

I always thought the Activision game Private Eye was mostly overlooked. Of course I think this might be because it was released so late in the game. An older game I liked that didnt seem to get a ton of recognition was Tunnel Runner. 3D maze game that alot of fun.

Gasp! You like River Raid2?! More than River Raid!?!

I can't believe it! It must be the more complicated gameplay that draws you eh?

Oh by the way Atari70's, you IM'd me the other day, but I was away from the computer for quite a while, then had to turn it off by the time I noticed your IM. Didn't mean to snub you or anything.

Geez... there's a TON of underrated games I could mention! Thunderground is definitely underrated, and is a must have... Dark Chambers is one of the best RPG/adventure styles games available on the Atari... Stargate/Defender II is a great game, and beats the original by leaps and bounds... London Blitz, Tunnel Runner and Escape From The Mindmaster managed some amazing 3D graphics out of the Atari, and were still fun to play... Marauder is simply amazing, but is unfortunately quite rare. Another rare game that doesn't get the recognition it deserves is Motorodeo. Unfortunately, the NTSC version is about as common as a unicorn with two horns.... but do yourself a favor and try it in an emulator. Front Line and Commando give Ikari Warriors a run for it's money. Cosmic Commuter is one of Activisions later (and best) games... Polaris is another well done arcade conversion of a great game in my opinion... Frankenstein's Monster is often overlooked... and finally, Radar Lock, one of Atari's later games, is another keeper.

Fwew... I could go on, but I'd be writing all night! It's amazing that with so many games, there's actually so many good ones. The people who stop once they have Pacman and Missile Command are sure missing out on a lot!

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by bergbros:

I believe Thunderground by Sega has to be considered underated. It actually comes from an arcade game, but it had great strategy elements and it got really harder the more you got into it. It came from a mediocre game manufacturer, Sega, whose only other good game was Star Trek.

Are you sure Thunderground was an arcade game? I can't seem to find it anywhere on KLOV... did they change the name when they ported it over to the Atari?

I'd love to try out the arcade version in MAME if it's supported...

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

Did you say Underrated?

How about BMX Airmaster? I never heard of this thing before I bought it, and it totally rules. Its practically a NES game!

Underrated Stan

Took the words right outta my mouth. And you missed an excellent opertunity for a plug! Stan your getting slow...I'll have to do it now

See StanJr's review of BMX Airmaster at Atarinvader.com.

Im so sorry, I feel I have to do it...

Atarinvader