IGNORED

2600 Bankswitch Conversions

Thomas Jentzsch

And these have not:

Lord of the Rings

:idea: This one is finished and waiting on my HD until Marc recovers.

848693[/snapback]

OK then...

I've done Popeye. It had to be done with F4. It's not been tested much. I searched this time to see if it had already been done, and I couldn't find anything that said it has. :?

popeye_F4.zip

popeye_F4_PAL.zip

Popeye seems to use five bank combinations, but I couldn't get it to work as an F4 cart

You are correct, it uses 5 bank combinations. But I found that simply replacing the hotspots didn't work, for two reasons:

1. The "power on" sequence 5-6-7-8 needs to be initialized at startup

2. The game seems to access FFFA and/or FFFB for some strange reason, causing problems in a F4 scheme.

Also, did you ever finish Frogger II? I found a page that says "In Progress" but no binary.

Just did Tutankham... It was a little harder than the others but not too bad. (This hasn't already been done, has it? :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: )

Now the only ones that haven't been done yet may be:

Frogger II (Bruce Tomlin may have done this one)

Mr. Do's Castle

Tooth Protectors

I await the final word on which of the above have already been done....

Tutankham_F4.zip

Tutankham_F4_PAL.zip

And these have not:

Frogger II

Lord of the Rings

Mr. Do's Castle

Popeye

Tooth Protectors

Tutankham

That's right. And there's a good reason for it, too. Because those are the hard ones.

TJ says he's got LotR, so you can have at the others. Ironically, three of the remaining ones are quite rare. So if you want a real challenge, you can try Frogger II, Mr. Do's Castle, or Tooth Protectors. Kroko owners will love you for it. Just heed my warnings on why they're hard before you choose one. :)

So if you want a real challenge, you can try Frogger II, Mr. Do's Castle, or Tooth Protectors.  Kroko owners will love you for it.  Just heed my warnings on why they're hard before you choose one.  :)

849173[/snapback]

OK... Here's Tooth protectors...Just NTSC, as there doesn't seem to be a PAL version.

I looked at Mr. Do's Castle, and it seems to have too many combinations, even for 32k. Maybe it would work as an extended 3F? I haven't tried Frogger II yet... I look at that next.

tooth_F4.zip

And these have not:

Frogger II

Lord of the Rings

Mr. Do's Castle

Popeye

Tooth Protectors

Tutankham

That's right. And there's a good reason for it, too. Because those are the hard ones.

TJ says he's got LotR, so you can have at the others. Ironically, three of the remaining ones are quite rare. So if you want a real challenge, you can try Frogger II, Mr. Do's Castle, or Tooth Protectors. Kroko owners will love you for it. Just heed my warnings on why they're hard before you choose one. :)

849173[/snapback]

Why would I be happy? I already own all 3... ;)

Good work though on getting Frogger 2 and Tooth Protectors done. Tooth protectors is an interesting game, that I strangely like. I like the whole breakout/killer ap concept.

There's only one E0 cart now that's not converted (Mr. Do's Castle) but this one is really tough. My brain hurts from trying to do it.

Tonight I was up for something easier so I converted an E7 M-network cart (He-Man) to F4. AFAIK there is no PAL version of this.

Also, note that the right difficulty on this game serves as a "pause" so it must be set to "A" for the game to work.

He_man_F4.zip

Edited by batari

Just for kicks, I converted the NTSC Bump 'N Jump from E7 to F6.  It was easy, only 4 hotspots, making it easier than a PAL->NTSC conversion of the Telegames PAL version...

850375[/snapback]

Good Job ! I start to think that those companies only invented new BS schemes because there were patent issues with the common ones ?! :ponder:

Here it is... The last E0 game that needs conversion: Mr. Do's Castle!

Well, honestly, I don't know how to play this game, so I haven't tested it properly. I would appreciate it if someone who actually knows the game will tell me if it plays properly (that is, I hear there's supposed to be 4 levels but I can't figure out level 1!) If itdoes indeed play correctly, I'll do the PAL version too.

MrDosCastle_F4.zip

I've finally got Decathlon working as F6. This one was VERY hard, as it used FE bankswitching and switched dozens of times throughout the kernel. Therefore I had to rewrite and/or relocate much of the kernel to tweak the timing so that everything would work. I had to use dirty tricks to get this working such as relying on the value obtained with a LDA $1FFx and dummy fetches after an RTS, so I would appreciate a test of all events on real hardware.

Also, the game had graphics data at FFF0-FFFB, accessed with indirect indexing, which was actually quite hard to track down and fix.

I will do the PAL version only if the kernel is essentially the same, and I haven't checked for this yet.

Decathlon_F6.zip

• 6 months later...
And these have not:

Lord of the Rings

:idea: This one is finished and waiting on my HD until Marc recovers.

848693[/snapback]

Was this ever released, Thomas? And while I'm the subject, does Thwocker use the same bankswitching as Decathlon and Robot Tank? I have not been able to run it on my Kroko Cart.

Edited by Zach

Well, honestly, I don't know how to play this game, so I haven't tested it properly.  I would appreciate it if someone who actually knows the game will tell me if it plays properly (that is, I hear there's supposed to be 4 levels but I can't figure out level 1!)  If itdoes indeed play correctly, I'll do the PAL version too.

854718[/snapback]

The game does not play properly on level 2. Note screenshots. One of them is the 'normal' version of the game. The other is yours. Note that the ladder placement appears different, though the game allows the player to climb the ladder at its "proper" spot.

docastle.bmp

mrdoscas.bmp

Well, honestly, I don't know how to play this game, so I haven't tested it properly.  I would appreciate it if someone who actually knows the game will tell me if it plays properly (that is, I hear there's supposed to be 4 levels but I can't figure out level 1!)  If itdoes indeed play correctly, I'll do the PAL version too.

854718[/snapback]

The game does not play properly on level 2. Note screenshots. One of them is the 'normal' version of the game. The other is yours. Note that the ladder placement appears different, though the game allows the player to climb the ladder at its "proper" spot.

984471[/snapback]

D'oh! I might be able to fix it if I can get to level 2 and look at Stella's debugger... How do you play? I could never figure out what you are supposed to do in this game.

does Thwocker use the same bankswitching as Decathalon and Robot Tank? I have not been able to run it on my Kroko Cart.

Yes, apparently. As long as it doesn't switch banks mid-kernel, it should be possible to convert. If I'm ever bored I'll look into it.

Oh, and my Decathlon conversion didn't work on some hardware. Did anyone actually try this in a Kroko cart?

Oh, and my Decathlon conversion didn't work on some hardware.  Did anyone actually try this in a Kroko cart?

984675[/snapback]

I tried Decathlon on my Kroko Cart and four-switch console. I can't say I tested it thoroughly due to the monotonous nature of the game, but I did play for a while.

Edited by Zach

D'oh!  I might be able to fix it if I can get to level 2 and look at Stella's debugger... How do you play?  I could never figure out what you are supposed to do in this game.

984675[/snapback]

Read the manual for instructions. There are four types of blocks you can knock out. The ones with "X"'s are the skull blocks. The ones with backward "4"'s are the key blocks. The ones that look like a not-bent-enough "7" are the cherries. And the blank ones are the ones the monsters respawned.

You clear a level by killing all the monsters, knocking out all the cherries, or spelling "EXTRA". Knocking out all the cherries will probably be easiest for you, since you're invincible when Player 1 is disabled (alt-X in Z26--don't know about Stella). You may also be able to hack the code (temporarily) to remove the player0-player1 collision detect.