IGNORED

Is there something wrong with using armor all on a console?

Atarian7

I'm curious to see what the general feeling is around here about this; I know that in the classic car community, Armor-All has got a horrible, horrible reputation. Basically, if you use it once you have to keep using it or it totally destroys whatever you put it on. Some sort of chemical thing, the way it breaks down over time.

Myself, I often wonder if my use of Windex is doing any damage... I've been cleaning systems this way for years and they all look fine, but I never like using any sort of chemical on anything like that. I make sure to use ammonia-free, just basic Windex, but I still wonder about it.

I noticed in one person's auction on ebay that it specificly  stated he didn't use armor all to clean it.

Was that person a contributor to this thread, perhaps?

There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsmen.

I don't know, I hear that the sheep in Aberdeen are pretty quick :D

I noticed in one person's auction on ebay that it specificly  stated he didn't use armor all to clean it.

I'm glad you asked...I fully endorse Armor All for your Atari cleaning needs...it does a wonderfull job and does in fact leave a nice shiney glow...and somewhat of a pungent odor...which i like to think of as an acquired smell. Contrary to what you might hear from some of the "nay-sayers" in the peanut gallery...no one can produce an ounce of proof that cleaning your classic Atari with Armor All does anything but make it shiney.

While the folks at Armor All will not go on the record saying that they can encourage the use of their product to clean Atari systems...I think it is fine...I will have to work up a web page with an FAQ on it as to the proper procedure for cleaning an Atari system with Armor All, because you can't just give it a bath...it takes a little time, effort, and overall TLC to get a showroom shine on your 20 year old system.

Thank you...that is all.

Mock

:ponder:

I missed out on the whole armor all inside joke thing for some odd reason.. so I remain as mystified as you :P

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39728

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40447

:D

There are some more. :ponder:

:lol: aaha Now I see why I skipped that thread.. the title seemed boring (I never clean shit). But now I see it was pure comedy gold :D

Wow, I didn't realize there was such a debate about this previously (I'm new around here).

I really think AA is just unnecessary, and it does make systems look unnaturally shiny. Here are some systems I've just cleaned with Windex, they look pretty much like new (not "better than new") in terms of shine to me:

vcs_05.jpg

videoarcade01.jpg

aes02.jpg

5200_07.jpg

5200_11.jpg

For the stuff with boxes behind it, just compare the system to the box shot. That's how it's supposed to look.

These systems were never supposed to have a mirror finish.

I know a little about Armor All. I used to run a company that details million dollar airplanes inside and out.

The biggest problem with Armor All products is that most are water based and when you put them on dash boards the water will dry up and shrink what its on and might cause a crack over time if you only put armor all on 1 time a year. This would apply to armor all that would get hit with sunlight. Now other products "not armor all" add silicon to there shine products, some forms of silicon can hurt plastics and rubbers "like tires for all you sick people". Some silicons could turn plastics soft. We found that Armor All worked the best for most parts and never hurt when we used it. However i see people on ebay where it loks like it was dipped the Atari systems in it and left the system all slick. Some of the best products we ever used were a cream that was rubbed into leatheres and it contained natural products in them.