IGNORED

High Score Club: What to do

keilbaca

How would you like to pick the game?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How would you like to pick the game?

• 5 Members pick a game, and we vote on it
    • Have every member submit a game at the beginning of the season, and they get randomly picked per week
    • Change nothing, 1 PM a week on who's next on the list

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Todd, you're a hero! i have played games since the early days of Pong and im still lame - if you can master these games then i dont see any reason why i cant do the same and why you cant compete in this - we all need something to aim at in life and if i could beat you my girlfriend would laugh that i cared, but i would know why it mattered!

this isnt about life and death

this is about playing games that 99% of gamers dont care about

but one day, it might be years away.....

im going to kick your ass

and this will be the record of it happening that i can show to my disbeleiving kids, and they will turn away from Halo 500 (it will take this long at the present rate), and they will say.........

"dad, you suck!'

but i will know that i dont suck, cos i beat Todd Rogers, just once, but once is enough.......

BTW, for anyone that cares, I once got over 500,000 on Sinistar in the arcade - i had no witnesses, but by the time I finished I sweated soooooo bad that i smelt like a Frenchman, and anyone who has smelt a Frenchman will accept that as evidence!

Since I sort of started the whole Todd thing, it got discussed quickly by many people.

I'm glad Todd is ok with all of our ideas. It shows he is flexible and understanding and I congratulate him for it.

Personally, I think that the ghost idea to me, is the best one. You can highlight his score for the week and it'll be an inspiration to us all.

Short of Space Invaders 1st player and Video Pinball, I don't think I ever kicked super ass on any of the games. Include Asteroids if you give a bonus guy every 5000 points.

I'm in. Someone had asked if everyone agreed on Todd not being part of the "amateur" division, would the players who haven't been competing would join. So, again. I'm in.

I have to use Cyberstella though, since I have no "vintage" hook up.

So I wait to see what is finally agreed upon with the "fate" of Todd.

Oh, BTW. If he had a toothache for a full week, we may have stood a chance. :)

Phil

To be honest, I think he would like the "Todd score", it shows he has great interest in that.

The problem with the Pro/Am is that there might be like 3-4 people in the pro, and the rest in the ametur. That's too much work for me to do, just for 4 people. That means seperate score lists I have to make up, different tables... yeah. Anyone up for the "Todd score" being that he really seems to be into it?

As another of the "Missing" HSC members, I must confess.

While I often played the game of the week, my general suckitude usually kept me from posting scores unless I got in early.

I would like to see participation points and a vote for the game of the week.

I also like the idea of a sliding scale for hitting higher scores.

And just for my situation, I would rather end the week on Monday b/c I don't have weekend access to a computer, but that's just me.

Oh, and Todd plays with his teeth! :)

As another of the "Missing" HSC members, I must confess.

While I often played the game of the week, my general suckitude usually kept me from posting scores unless I got in early.

I would like to see participation points and a vote for the game of the week.

I also like the idea of a sliding scale for hitting higher scores.

And just for my situation, I would rather end the week on Monday b/c I don't have weekend access to a computer, but that's just me.

Oh, and Todd plays with his teeth!  :)

Dave,

I submitted a score of 400 for PRessure Cooker - If I can live with that you should be able to post SOMETHING! :D

im not fussed about what day it ends, i am lucky because i dont have to work like most people i guess - but i like the idea about a point for entering, at least that way i will be guarenteed to get a score each week!

at the end of the day, whatever keilbaca wants do to should be accepted - sure, i might be crap at games and spend hours and hours trying to get on the bottom of the scoresheet, but all i have to do is post my score......keilbaca is the one who has all the hard work, who puts up with the complaints, who does all this knowing that he wont even get the no.1 score - we should all be grateful that someone else is organising this for us, and just get on with trying to be better at games....

BTW, is it agreed that Enduro is this weeks game?

Maybe it's just me, but I still manage to have a good time even knowing that the best I can hope for is a tie for first, and even that's a pretty distant hope.

If you're unable to enjoy yourself without winning, then you probably shouldn't participate.

Without the chance of winning. I know I'm probably not going to win, but I don't like the idea of it being a hopeless case. As I said, I already compete against my own scores, which is what many people have suggested I am supposed to use the HSC for, so there's no point in participating if the competition isn't going to be a fair measure of other amatuer players.

I appreciate Todd's response to the thread and all the comments made--Todd, you're the best player out there and I just think it would better serve all of us if you were an inspiration and not a competetor. You certainly outclass me in game playing, as well as most of the people submitting scores. I'm reeeeeally in favor of "Ghost Todd" as well.

I'm probably way off on all of this, I'm just trying to advocate the ideas that a few of us "former" HSC members share about how the club is set up, why we left, and what would need to be fixed before we'd enjoy competing again. No one has to conform to my ideas, or even regard them--I simply wanted to add my 2 cents because HSC could certainly be a lot of fun, and because my initial concerns about Todd competing back when the club first started were never really voiced.

Cheers, :)

Aimee

Maybe it's just me, but I still manage to have a good time even knowing that the best I can hope for is a tie for first, and even that's a pretty distant hope.

If you're unable to enjoy yourself without winning, then you probably shouldn't participate.

Without the chance of winning. I know I'm probably not going to win, but I don't like the idea of it being a hopeless case. As I said, I already compete against my own scores, which is what many people have suggested I am supposed to use the HSC for, so there's no point in participating if the competition isn't going to be a fair measure of other amatuer players.

I appreciate Todd's response to the thread and all the comments made--Todd, you're the best player out there and I just think it would better serve all of us if you were an inspiration and not a competetor. You certainly outclass me in game playing, as well as most of the people submitting scores. I'm reeeeeally in favor of "Ghost Todd" as well.

I'm probably way off on all of this, I'm just trying to advocate the ideas that a few of us "former" HSC members share about how the club is set up, why we left, and what would need to be fixed before we'd enjoy competing again. No one has to conform to my ideas, or even regard them--I simply wanted to add my 2 cents because HSC could certainly be a lot of fun, and because my initial concerns about Todd competing back when the club first started were never really voiced.

Cheers, :)

Aimee

That's part of the idea, trying to get old members back again, trying to get this thing as big as we can get it. Anyone else up for Enduro?

I'd love to be more active in the HSC, and to be honest, some of the fun was sucked out when Todd started dominating every week. If I want to beat my own best score, I don't need the HSC. I want to compete with other people who are my video gaming peers. Todd is my video gaming daddy, he owns us all. Which I why I don't understand how the HSC is even remotely fun for him, unless its just to rub his greatness in our faces (and I certainly hope that isn't the case, Todd seems like a cool enough guy) I was really jazzed about the HSC because I thought I would be playing v. others similar to myself, and that maybe, on the odd week or two I could nab #1, or at least make the top 5. That was why I thought it was going to be fun. I don't have to play, clearly, and if my idea of fun is unwanted, that is cool too. I'm just giving my perspective.

I don't mind Todd being in the game, in fact I've even bragged to my friends about the "Gaming God" being in my HSC :D I think it's kinda cool, man I'm a nerd :)

BUT............

I would probably compete harder and more consistently though if I actually stood a chance of winning one occasionally.

I think the "ghost Todd" route would be the simplest and most satisfying for all involved. It doesn't take away from anyone, and leaves something to shoot for.

Keep it simple or we'll all regret it.

OK So does this sound like a set plan to everyone.

1. 1 point intervals between 1st to 10th, starting from 11 to 2.

2. 1 point for participation (the 1 point is included into the top 10 score)

3. ToddRogers puts in an extraordinary score, called Beat the Champ. You beat it, you get double points. (The double points does not carry to the Best tips if you get that as well)

4. It is weekly, but it'll end Monday night, that gives the rest of us time to play with odd days off.

5. Best tips is 2 points.

The only thing we have left to really set in stone is how to pick the games.

Is this what everyone agrees to, if so, then these will be the new rules.

With "ghost" players (as I understand it), you get to see what the ghost does to get through the game.

What I'd really like to see, if Todd were up to doing it, is at the beginning of each week, have him post a short video clip of him playing the chosen game, so the rest of us could see some of the techniques/patterns/etc. he uses in order to improve our own scores.

That would be very cool, and would probably entice more people to play the games.

The way that they was talking ghost, was that Todd posts a score, he doesn't count, but he can post one anyways. Thats why I'm all for the "Beat the Champ", its more than just seeing him own us every week, we actually get a bonus for being able to keep up with him.

The way that they was talking ghost, was that Todd posts a score, he doesn't count, but he can post one anyways. Thats why I'm all for the "Beat the Champ", its more than just seeing him own us every week, we actually get a bonus for being able to keep up with him.

So in "beat the champ" he still gets points and wins or not?

sorry

Just waiting on everyone else to decide if the 4 rules I set are fine for everyone, and if anyone has a better idea than 5 members voting, because every time is going to be all 5 people picking a different game. So, as long as everyone agrees with the 4 rules, that'll be our only issue.

Right, but getting some gameplay "how-to's" out of it wouldn't be bad, either. :D

I waive my right to pick a game in any form.  I just want to play, I don't care how the games are picked or who picks them.  I DO ask that more homebrews gets added into the mix.

Space Treat Deluxe and Star fire was picked this past time, so I'm sure that homebrews will be picked.